Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, April 17, 2005

10k Time Trial

10k 46:04. HR Avg 173 Max 185
Course: BRRC 10k Handicap.
Start Time: 6:19am Temp 26C.
Session Type: Time Trial

What an interesting morning.

Firstly,I have been eagerly waiting for this opportunity since October last year when I got my Polar 625x watch. This is the first time I've gone flat out since then and I have been keen to see what my max HR would be. Initially I had been able to get it over 170 without much effort which lead me to slow down my training considerably. So today I hit a Max of 185. Reached 180 at 32:25 mins and held it over 180 till the end. I wonder if this a good thing! From the Polar Fitness Test on the watch, it had me down as a predicted MaxHR of 174. Another benefit from this run over I what I hope is an accurate course, is I can get a better distance calibration on my Polar. It gave me a distance of 10.397k for this 10k. So for the last month or so since moving the pod to my left foot, it has been overstating the distance and giving me quicker pace times for my training as a result. I lso think the temperature readings are a bit off. It read 26C this morning. I 'm sure it was more like 20-21C.

Secondly, this is first time this year I have done anything other then a conditioning run. I was using today's 10k and next Sunday's Brisbane Half as benchmark time trials from which I can measure my progress once I start hill training and anaerobic sessions leading upto the Gold Coast Half. So I was not exactly sure what I would be capable of. I am pleased with the 46 minutes (4:36m/k), considering the fastest I have run for 4 months is a 9.8k ten days ago at avg 4:55 pace and all the rest of my training has been between 5:00 and 6:00 pace. It may fly in the face of logic and a lot of expert advice, but I think it just shows that you don't have to train at race pace or faster to race "fast".

Thirdly, I won. Don't get too excited it was a handicap event and the only other run I had done with the Brisbane Road Runners was a 20k in 1h:57 which was just one of my slow long runs. So I was handicapped on that run and received a very generous 19 minute start time. Never the less there has been only three or four times in my running career where I have won a race so I'll take it when I can. It certainly helped me keep my mind on my form throughout the second lap knowing there was a race to be won. I started out conservatively (4:50 first K) and quickly passed a lot of the earlier starters. At the turn around just before the 6k mark in the second leg, the Marshall informed me there was only one person in front of me and I quickly caught them. So I knew I was in the lead, and for a while was passing the other runners still coming out bound. It didn't appear that any of them was going fast enough to catch me if I maintained my form. From the 7k mark though I was on my own and the only danger was being swamped by much faster runners. I raised the tempo as much as I could from that point and did a couple of 4:25 Ks. Which left me pretty stuffed but still managed a last K in 4:39. Didn't look over my shoulder at any time either. Also pleased to negative split (23:15, 22:49). Won a nice BRRC coffee mug as well.

Funnily Kewell, my 7 year old son, had asked me last night what my tactics for the race were going to be. If I was in the lead or second would I be saving up for a big sprint finish. Not really being aware the race was a handicap event, I said short of a mass drive-by shooting spree where all the front runners were eliminated there was no way I was going to be in a position to win the race. So everyone in the family was surprised when I came home with my trophy.

Fourthly, after the run meet CRs Eddie and Hannah for the first time. Nice to meet the people behind the words.

What a morning.

2 Comments:

  • At Mon Apr 18, 10:28:00 am AEST, Blogger Hannah said…

    Was nice to meet you too :)

    CONGRATS on winning - that's a fantastic time :) I aspire to win one of those coffee mugs one day!

     
  • At Thu Apr 21, 09:01:00 pm AEST, Blogger Flashrip's Fables said…

    Just catching up on things here - congrats on the win.As a frustrated 40something 10k runner myself it was great to read the precis of your race ; it really urges me on to stay determined to get back to it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home