Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Zombie Run

It has been a tough week.  You know how you feel when you get to half way in a marathon and there is that  good feeling about how far you have come but then a short while later you realize you have just as far still to go.  Now imagine that at half way it was compulsory to increase your pace by a third!!! That is what it has been like this week. After two weeks of three games a day in the World Cup, it reaches game 33 of 64 games and the last round of Group matches and the schedule is upped to four games a night and I am turned into a walking zombie.

So this has been a bit of a quieter week training wise. Only 46k.

This did include a 10k this morning at the BRRC which I completed in 44:05.6. My split times for the two laps were 22:02.8, 22:02.8. Exactly the same down to the tenth of a second. How amazing is that. I am pleased with that time but it was tough but is just the sort of hit out I needed before the Half next weekend. Three months ago on the 28th March at the BRRC 10k champs I did 48:35, so a 4:30 improvement in three months and all off just pure base building and no speed or tempo training at all.

By September/October with some decent faster training I might just be approaching some decent times again.

In the meantime I have to survive the World Cup and work for the next two weeks :-(

4 Comments:

  • At Mon June 28, 10:08:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    That's a great improvement in a short time. I'd happily take one of your splits as a 5k time right now. I think you're looking at a 1:37-8 on Sunday, so I'm glad I switched to the 10k. No way could I run a time like that.

    Anyway, happy Zombieing. Hope your eyes were open for every minute. Go the Dutch!

     
  • At Tue June 29, 12:08:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    That is a good sign robert Song! I'm interested to see how you'll go with the GC half.

    A few good nights sleep before that would be well advised!

    What does Ewen mean by "Go the Dutch!" is he supporting the team from Holland or wanting to share the cost of a coffee with you on the Gold Coast?

     
  • At Tue June 29, 05:13:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Good one Scott. I'll pay that. Argh, did I say p p p p p a y?

     
  • At Fri July 09, 12:44:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Nice improvement in times! Must feel good to look back at that.

    Hope the World Cup sched hasn't nailed you too much - only 2 games to go!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home