Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Good News and Good Progress

Well it has been a stressful month since my last update on how my running has been progressing.

For the two weeks my father was in hospital , it would have been easy to have let the training slip but seeing him fighting away for every breath made that seem like a really soft option.

So I have plugged away with the base building when ever possible and managed weeks of
47, 80, 61 and this week 82k along the way.

Last week I also had my latest three monthly CT Scan and the results again show no discernible signs of lymphoma. So I am officially in remission for another three months. My feet almost never swell up anymore and the numbness has almost gone and I feel this has helped my running enormously.

So I can now plan out the next three months. I will run the Half at the Gold Coast in July and if I feel I am up to it will run the Brisbane Marathon on 1st August. Seeing this was my target Race last year it will be a nice touch to have been able to recover enough to at least complete the race this year.


Today I completed the BRRC 7k Champs in 30:52 and did the last 5k in 21:52.   Just seven weeks ago, I could only manage 48:35 (4:51 pace) for a 10k at BRRC. Today was 4:24 pace. Who knows where I will be in seven weeks time? 

The Half at the Gold Coast should be fun. I am looking forward to a "Smackdown" with Ewen (his words not mine). I have seen his recent 5k race times and he surely must be playing dead.

4 Comments:

  • At Mon May 17, 08:14:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    So glad to hear your good news!

    I don't know what's up with Ewen's recent times Robert Song, but if he were a horse I'd be thinking about a visit to the glue factory!

    Hope your doing better with your Dads passing.

     
  • At Mon May 17, 09:04:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    I might have to make an appointment with the glue factory Scott, thus avoiding "Smackdown Humiliation!"

     
  • At Tue May 18, 03:17:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Nice times and weekly k's!

    Looks like August is a realistic target with those stats...... at least I really hope so because I'm aiming for the Adelaide marathon in August and am only up to ~65 km a week at present!

     
  • At Sat May 29, 09:13:00 pm AEST, Blogger Flashrip's Fables said…

    I'm not sure if you remember me but I used to appreciate your comments to my blog. I've got back into running again after finally figuring what was hampering me. I haven't caught up on your news yet but noticed you have been active, well done!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home