Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Who said there was no finishing line?

Yesterday my Father Gordon passed away in Royal Brisbane Hospital at the age of 87. Two weeks ago he suffered a massive stroke which left him without sight, speech, swallow and right side paralysis.

I will collect my thoughts and say more about him later but for now this picture of him in full stride at age 74 at the Veteran Atheletic Championships in Melbourne in 1997 will suffice.  I guess it was a 200m or 400m race given he is running so far from the inside lane.

7 Comments:

  • At Wed May 05, 11:20:00 am AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    My condolences Graham. But, it must be nice to be able to look back at photos like that and know that your father squeezed the most out of life. I certainly hope that I'm still running at 74!

     
  • At Wed May 05, 12:07:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Didn't know you Dad was a runner Robert Song! Sorry to hear of your loss. Just lost my Father last month and found it hard to come to terms with. It may sound selfish but focus on yourself and your family that helped in my case.

    Take it easy,

     
  • At Wed May 05, 12:10:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    By the way when I saw that photo I thought it was Earl Fee!

    Looked so fit!

     
  • At Wed May 05, 07:39:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Graham. My thoughts are with you and the family.

    I second what Scott said about your dad's form - he looks great! Like Scott, you've inherited excellent running genes.

     
  • At Wed May 05, 07:42:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Graham, I'm so very sorry to read of the death of your father. I think the loss of one's parent is a sorrow like no other. What a wonderful photo to remember him by! My thoughts are with you and your family.

     
  • At Fri May 07, 12:58:00 pm AEST, Blogger Eagle said…

    MY condolances. I agree with LL what a wonderful photo. If he was fit and healthy in later life that is all we can hope for.

     
  • At Thu May 13, 09:30:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    A great photo Graham and no doubt lots of memories as well.
    Celebrate his life. Tell us some stories or just share them with the kids and get them to tell you their fondest memories.
    The funerals I have been to lately have been incredibly hard but definitely an opportunity to come together with family and friends and share/celebrate life.

    Was he a good runner then? :) Better than you ? :)))))))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home