Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, March 28, 2010

BRRC 10k Champ

Mon
Rest
Tue
60 minute walk. My legs still feeling thrashed after the Half on Sunday.
Wed
6.8k 36:53 (HR 138 5:25) Easy recovery run.
Thu
9.5k 49:23 (HR 152 5:11)
Fri
9.5k 58:42 (HR 124 6:10) Ran with J & C. Easy run up until madness broke out in the last 400m when a mad sprint to the end broke out. Can't blame it on testosterone fuelled male competitiveness as it was Christine who made the first move!

Sat
Rest

Sun
BRRC 10k Champ 48:38 (HR 169 4:51) 3rd in M55-59 Age Group.

It took me a long time this week to recover from the Half Marathon from last Sunday. It wasn't till Friday that I felt like I was running without sore legs. 

 Today I thought I could go sub 50 and set out at that pace. After one K, I felt I could up the pace a little and settled into a 4:55 rhythm and went through the first lap in 24:42. Still feeling quite comfortable, I stepped it up to 4:45 pace and started reeling a few runners in. I was suprised that I caught and passed Clairie at around the 7.5 Ks. In the last couple of Ks it started to get tough but with lots of huff and puff I managed not to drop the pace. 
I shouldn't have been suprised when Clairie whizzed past me with about 400m to go. I would have loved to have accepted the challenge for a battle to the line but I was red-lining myself. That will have to wait till another day in the hopefully not to near future. 

4 Comments:

  • At Sun Mar 28, 08:02:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    You have to fear those women who come back after having Children for sure. Clairie will be a force in the next few years.

    Fantastic Run Robert Song. I'm mighty interested to see where all this goes as well!

     
  • At Mon Mar 29, 08:03:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Geez, that's good! Also good that to beat Clairie you'll have to keep improving. 45 minutes might do it in the next one. Either that, or hammer out a 4:10 last kilo... her kick is lethal!

     
  • At Fri Apr 02, 06:13:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow! you're doing just great, Graham! Bet you can outkick Clairie though in spite of what Ewen says; he likes to scare people who are faster than he is!

    Have a happy Easter.

     
  • At Thu Apr 08, 03:40:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Geez, you're really hammering out the times. Will be back to old form in no time!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home