Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Leaving on a Jet Plane

22nd - 28th October
Mon 14.5k 1:15:19 @ 5:11 HR 139 75% MaxHR
Tue 7k 41:00 Treadmill HR 130 70% MaxHR
Wed Missed Session
Thu 14.5k 1:14:17 @ 5:07 HR 138 74% MaxHR
Fri 9.5k 49:12 @ 5:10 HR 135 72% MaxHR
Sat Rest
Sun 11.0k 58:05 @ 5:16 HR 144 77% MaxHR

Week: 56.5k
Oct: 200K
YTD: 2602k

This week I travelled down to Penrith for work on Tuesday. Managed to do just over 40 minutes on the treadmill at the hotel on Tuesday night. I was coming back Wednesday and had planned to arrive back to my workplace in Brisbane around 6:00pm and get in a run that night. Unfortunately, I took a wrong turn on the way to airport and arrived about ten minutes late for my flight and had to wait another 90 minutes for a flight. So on finally getting back to Brisbane I gave up the session for that night.

Since then both the temperature and humidity have both risen, resulting in some sticky running conditions. My Sunday run this morning was particularly uncomfortable. Leaving at 7:00am is just too late in this sort of weather for me. After having trained for the Canberra Marathon over the summer months for the last two years, my loathing of humidity is one of the main reasons I have targeted the Gold Coast in July rather than an earlier marathon. Allows me to cruise somewhat over the summer months without the pressure of 30K+ long runs.

Next week is going to be another challenge. Tomorrow afternoon I head down to Canberra for an early meeting on Tuesday. So will again be juggling work,travel and running.

6 Comments:

  • At Mon Oct 29, 02:44:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    If you arrive early enough Monday, you should hook up with the Speedygeese at Parly House underground carpark - 5.30pm.

    Luckily down here we can still get a 30k run in starting at 7am over summer - not that I plan to do too many of those ;)

     
  • At Mon Oct 29, 08:30:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Good idea about not wanting to do 30k training runs in the summer heat. I think there is not so much benefit in running so long in the heat when you don't have to do it in the race itself.

    Looking foward to your following posts.

     
  • At Tue Oct 30, 05:52:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    That humidity has been a killer lately. I'm starting to wonder why I whinged so much about the cold in winter and longed for summer to arrive.

     
  • At Wed Oct 31, 05:29:00 pm AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    Next time you head to Penrith, maybe try the Penrith Lakes circuit, if you have transport.
    The former Olympic Rowing site, it is now great for tri's and has a nice flat measured 5k circuit around the water...

     
  • At Thu Nov 01, 08:50:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    with all the daylight they save in the afternoons down south, you can happily run in the dark in the mornings. i think thats how it works. treadmills vs river runs? a bugger isn't it

     
  • At Sun Nov 04, 06:25:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love this weather. i can do my wussy little run and then act like i've done 2 hours. i'm such a poser.

    wrong turn? were you afraid to ask for directions?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home