Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Not so Taxing week

Week 6 - 12 th August
Monday 8.5k 43:33 @ 5:07 HR 135 73%MaxHr
Tuesday 13.0k 67:25 @ 5:11 HR 137 74% MaxHR
Wednesday 14.5k 1:11:28 @ 4:55 HR 137
Thursday 9.5k 46;31 @ 4:53 HR 132 71% MaxHR
Friday 18.8k 1:34:28 @ 5:01 HR 143 77%MaxHR
Saturday Rest Day
Sunday 31.5k 2:46:54 @ 5:17 HR 141 76%MaxHr

Week: 95.8K
August: 170K
YTD: 2,026K


An increase of 5k over last week. The most pleasing aspect of this was that the extra Ks were done on Monday and Tuesday when I was attending a conference at Twin Waters on the Sunshine Coast. It would have been easy to slip training on these days, but I not only managed to get the sessions in but add that extra distance.

I have certainly admired "peterhorse's"
dedication when he travels so much but it is not a common thing for me and this had the potential to be disruptive. This coming week will be more challenging when I have to travel to Muswellbrook for work. It will mean flying to Newcastle and driving a couple of hours to Muswellbrook on Wednesday and returning back Friday.

My body (and thus dreaming El McPherson will track me down and kick my ass ) is certainly getting used to the workload. The standout session for the week was Thursday 9.5k 46;31 @ 4:53 HR 132 71% MaxHR. That is the best pace I have ever managed at such a low HR.


The biggest news this week was I got my tax return refund and it was larger than I expected. It means that I could finally commit to the Melbourne Marathon. So I have now entered, and booked the flights for me and My Wife. On my long run this morning, I even started thinking about what it will be like to run into the MCG at the end of the race. Should be a magic experience. While I was booking flights I also booked tickets for Womadelaide next March. Looking forward to that as well

6 Comments:

  • At Mon Aug 13, 10:02:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Melbourne - yay! I must admit that lap of the MCG is what swayed it for me when I was trying to decide.

     
  • At Mon Aug 13, 02:19:00 pm AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    Yes that MCG entrance keeps coming up in conversations. WIll be good to give you something to grin about at that point in the race....and with such a fantastic gold coast and more solid training since, it should be all the more reason to smile.
    i think the key with the travel thing is there is a small window of time, where if you commit and go for it, you can manage, but he who hesitates is lost. Adelaide and the pre-dawn Torrens River running is my favourite 'travel run'.

     
  • At Tue Aug 14, 03:59:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    That's fantastic - see you in Melbourne! The half for me though.

    I agree about the Thursday session - it's up there with Stephen Lacey for pace/HR.

    Isn't El slightly past it? What does 'My Wife' think about you dreaming of her?

     
  • At Tue Aug 14, 06:56:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    The Melbourne Marathon AND Womadelaide '08. Life's good Robert Song. :-)

     
  • At Fri Aug 17, 06:01:00 pm AEST, Blogger IHateToast said…

    whoo hoo for melbourne!

     
  • At Sun Aug 19, 09:44:00 am AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    You know Muswellbrook is featured in Steely Dan's "Black Friday"? A shame they pronounce it wrong. I'm not sure it's a great spot for running either...There is a contact for the Aths Club on
    http://www.horsecapital.com.au/uhrw/sports1.htm. Maybe they can help...
    Have a nice couple of days in Blue Heeler Country

    Always good when the score is Tax Office 0 , you 1

     

Post a Comment

<< Home