Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Week 27 Aug - 2 Sept
Monday 9.5k 45:49 @ 4:49 HR 143 77%MaxHR
Tuesday 14.5k 1:12:45 @ 5:01 HR 136 73% MaxHR
Wednesday 14.5k 1:11:17 @ 4:55 HR 145 78% MaxHR
Thursday 9.5k 48:40 @ 5:07 HR 133 71% MaxHR
Friday 18.8k @ 5:07 HR 135 73% MaxHR
Saturday Rest Day
Sunday Abanonded run after 4 minutes

Week: 67.6K
August: 283K

After coming back slowily from the flu the week before, I picked it up this week and was going realy well till Sunday (Father's Day). I woke early for my long run with a headache. I took a panadol and thought it might just go away. I started out on my run but it quickly became obvious that this wasn't going to happen. So I turned around and headed back to bed. It turned out to be one of THOSE headaches which knocks me around for days. I have actually been on medication for these for about eigth years but I haven't had an episode for around 18 months. I was even discussing with my doctor the last time I had to get a repeat, about possibly trying to get off the medication seeing I hadn't been having any attacks. Maybe not now.

Anyway I was laid low for three days and didn't go out for another run till Wednesday this week.

Week 27 Aug - 2 Sept
Monday Headache
Tuesday Headache
Wednesday 9.5k 48:12 @ 5:04 HR 134 72% MaxHR
Thursday 9.5k 46:38 @ 4:54 HR 142 77% MaxHR
Friday 14.5k 1:16:27 @ 5:16 HR 133 71% MaxHR
Saturday Rest Day
Sunday 31.5k 2:54:18 @ 5:32 HR 143 77%MaxHR

Week: 65.0K
Sept: 65.8K
YTD: 2,205.6K

So I managed to finish off the week with a decent number of Ks but they were very slow for the Heart Rate. Given that Melbourne is only 4 weeks away it was good to get a 30+K run in, the first for four weeks. Though the last time I did that it was 7 minutes faster and at at lower Heart Rate, so I seem to have lost some fitness. Luckily my race goal is over nine months away, so no need to panic just yet!

I have been reading the 15 Laws of Training which which was posted on a CR page. Lots of good stuff in there and most of it seems to back up my approach to training.

Lets hope for a healthy couple of weeks training so Melbourne won't be too tough.

7 Comments:

  • At Mon Sept 10, 10:08:00 am AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    You did well to get that long run in Robert. It would've been bad a this stage to miss one.

    That headache sounds nasty. I'm sure you know all about it but if you get a chance try some accupressure or another alternative approach, it might just work.

     
  • At Mon Sept 10, 10:20:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Its always comforting to get that long run in isn't it. I had been a bit worried about mine also.

    Sorry to hear about the headaches :-( If you think of an alternative approach (which you've probably tried in the past) there are a couple of docs in a practice at Indooroopilly that bulk bill accupuncture.

    Thanks for the link to the 15 laws. Lots of interesting reading there.

     
  • At Mon Sept 10, 03:29:00 pm AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    Well, I have no advice for dealing with headaches (other than the ones that wear school shoes), but I would also like to say thanks for posting that link to Noakes' 15 laws. Must print that out for some commute reading.

    Well done on the long run and for keeping up the mileage despite the difficulties.

     
  • At Mon Sept 10, 03:46:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Untitled? What about "Hammered by a Headache"?

    Thanks for the link to the 15 laws - looking forward to reading that.

    Hope you're still good for a 'fun' sub 3:40, or 'faster than Tesso'. Not long to go.

     
  • At Mon Sept 10, 09:00:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sorry to read about your headache. i think even the smallest hurt, so i can't imagine the pain you had.

    you need a voodoo doll with a big cranium.

     
  • At Tue Sept 11, 11:26:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    Sympathy and empathy with you on the headaches. Used to be on medication also but strangely they have gone about 4 years ago - coincdes with when i started running. Good to get the LSR in. You're very good at control to stick with HR zones....thus whyyou can go so well in your races!

     
  • At Tue Sept 11, 06:55:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Yes Robert Song, I sure hope you keep well. It sure must have been good to get that long run in. They sure help the mental preparation as well as the physical.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home