Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Slowily building up again

Monday 9.5k 45:48 HR 143 (77%MaxHR) Pace 4:50
Tuesday 9.5k 49:03 HR 142 (76%MaxHR) Pace 5:09 (hilly)
Wednesday 14.5k 74:26 HR 136 (73%MaxHR) Pace 5:07
Thursday Rest
Friday 14.5k 71:15 HR 144 (77%MaxHR) Pace 4:54
Saturday 11.0k 57:19 HR 142 (76%MaxHR) Pace 5:12
Sunday 25.0k 2:10:36 HR 141 (76%MaxHR) Pace 5:13 (hilly)

Week: 84.0k
MTD : 216k
YTD: 1840k

An additional 14k this week over last week. I hadn't planned a rest day for Thursday but was feeling quite tired that day and thought at this stage there was more to be gained from taking a day off. The weather has just been perfect for running last week. Mostly around 12- 14C in the early evening, although on my long run today there was a lot of smoke in the air out in The Gap.


Bluesbuffet asked about my current music. I usually re-jig the content on my player after each marathon but found there were still heaps of albums that I hadn't finished listening to just quite yet.
So last week I loaded these albums;
Watina - Andy Palacio & The Garifuna Collective (Belize)
Back to Black - Amy Winehouse (UK)
Icky Thump - The White Stripes (USA)
Introducing Etran Finatawa - Etran Finatawa (Niger)

And I kept these albums:

At Last! - Etta James (USA)
Best of 1990 - 2000 - U2 (Ireland)
Golden Afrique Vol 3 (CD 2) - Various (Zimbabwe and Zambia)
Grinderman - Grinderman (Australia)
Mermaid Avenue - Billy Bragg and Wilco (USA)
My Name is Buddy - Ry Cooder (USA)
Nigeria 70s Disc 1 - Various (Nigeria)
Orientation - Thione Seck (Senegal)
The Dusty Foot Philosopher - K'Naan (Somalia/Canada)
The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips (USA)
White Ladder - Dave Gray (UK)

I now find that running is my major music listening time. This is especially easy to handle when doing lots of slow Ks.

The other major listening time is in the car to and from work and this week "You've Stolen My Heart - Songs from R.D.Burman's Bollywood" by Kronos Quartet and Asha Bhosle has been on constant rotation. It has weaved enough magic for it to be there again this week.

My other place for listening to music is in the recreation room at home and my CD player there takes five CDs. This is where I listen on week nights and weekends. Like the car, CDs here once loaded stay until I get sick of them. These four have been in there for the last three weeks:
Burlesque - Bellowhead (UK)
Segu Blue - Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni ba (Mali)
African Pearls 4 Senegal The Teranga Spirit - Various (Senegal)
Aman Iman - Tinawarin (Mali)

The fifth spot usually is left for whatever takes my fancy at the time. Like today I played Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and a Johnny Dark compilation.

So much music and so little time. Guess I'll just have to run more and/or slower like Ewen!

5 Comments:

  • At Mon July 30, 06:44:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    YOu need to retire, that will give you an extra 8 hours a day listening time.

     
  • At Tue July 31, 04:06:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Yes, slow is good. Or try a 160k week and you'll have more listening time.

    In response to your question (I'll probably post this on my blog also)...

    If my running speed got quicker at those HRs I might add some distance. I don't have the time to run much more than 11 hours per week. Although I'd love to try 130k/week for a month to see what happened.

    Running slower than my previous easy pace is more of a mental thing than physical. Endurance at HR120 is fine. I'm getting used to slow shuffling. Might have to get an MP3 player!

     
  • At Thu Aug 02, 03:11:00 pm AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    Building alright...nice and consistent too.

    To answer your Q on my blog, i consider my max HR to be in the low-mid 160's. The highest i have ever seen it in running is 161 and i was nearly passing out. It sits in the mid 150's doing a V02max session (155 was measurd V02max in lab with Wesley in Feb 06). Seems a bit low i know but i can't seem to get it any higher without collapsing in exhaustion.

     
  • At Sat Aug 04, 10:03:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    that's a pretty decent tally for someone not focused on an upcoming race

     
  • At Wed Aug 08, 01:27:00 pm AEST, Blogger IHateToast said…

    but can you really call yourself a music maven if you don't have any of the spice girls' solo albums up there? huh?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home