Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Listen to my heartbeat

Wednesday

14.5k 1:14:21. HR Avg 138 Max 145 Avg Pace 5:07
Course: Work to Riverside and Back.
Start Time: 5:20 pm Temp 22C.
Session Type: Easy Run

Thursday

14.5k 1:14:16. HR Avg 135 Max 144 Avg Pace 5:071
Course: Work to Riverside and Back.
Start Time: 5:20 pm Temp 22C.
Session Type: Easy Run

Two almost identical runs on two consecutive days. Thursday's run being the better effort done in a quicker time at a slower heart rate.

Historically these efforts give me an interesting comparison on where I am at. For runs under HR140 for this course, I did 71:36 (136) in May last year, so I am a fair way off that mark at the moment. The next best times of 73:38 (139) and 73:46 (139) where done in March last year just prior to Canberra Marathon. So Wed & Thur's runs stack up pretty well with those. The only time I have run better than these times this year is a 73:43 (139) on 21st March and I reckon 74:16 at HR 135 is a better run, so I feel I am back to where I was before the injury. Now just to test it out with some longer runs.

6 Comments:

  • At Sat May 12, 11:54:00 am AEST, Blogger plu said…

    The value of keeping records. That is really interesting.

    Glad to see you coming back. I will probably see you at the Gold Coast.

    cheers PLu

     
  • At Sat May 12, 01:40:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Guess its just over four weeks now since the injury so that's good news.

    With my reduced running the latest Robert Song compilations are getting just a good a workout as I am at the gym :-)

     
  • At Sat May 12, 04:33:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Are these consecutive days? Why would they be different and what would happen if you did it again on Friday?

    Glad to see you are coming back so well with your running. This week I recalled a conversation we had when we fist met. It was the Doomben half and you said something along the lines of "it takes years to get a good marathon" .... this week I was feeling like something clicked and was result of years and finally putting it all together .... thanks for you insight, I enjoy learning from you.

     
  • At Sat May 12, 05:05:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    I hope the long run test goes well Robert Song. I am glad things are looking up.

     
  • At Sat May 12, 09:16:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Intersting Robert. I love that HR stuff, and, as Plu said, it shows the value of keeping a training diary.

     
  • At Mon May 14, 10:03:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    Yep, big fan of HR training method. Do you ever get misreads? a few minutes of them can affect the average. A few extra degrees or higher humidity seem to kick it up also. Looking good for GC so far RS.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home