Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday - 3k inervals

9.0k 45:27. HR Avg 157 Max 174
Course: Tilquin St.
Start Time: 5:45 pm Temp 25C.
Session Type: Three 3k Intervals

My three 3k interval session tonight. I must say that I think there is still some lingering tiredness from the Half on Sunday. As well, Kewell has been off school for three days sick with a cold, Dory is on the way down and I feel my body is fighting it as well. So while still prepared to do the session tonight, I wasn't going to go 110%.

Times
Tonight Last week
13:11 (153) 13:22 (147)
13:11 (164) 13:06 (158)
13:32 (166) 13:16 (161)

Not too displeased with the results but the HRs indicate that I am still a bit tired. It is a bit early for taper paranoia isn't it?

Plu commented on my Half Marathon on Sunday.
That is a very solid last 5km heartrate. So I guess the heart rate naturally goes up with each successive 5km split. How do you plan to manage it in the full?
The simple answer is that in order to get through the full marathon, I am going have to slow down. The middle 10k on Sunday was 4:34 pace and my heart rate was creeping up from 157 to 166. My pace in last 5k was 4:25 and HR shot up to 172. So hopefully if I drop back to 4:45 I will be below lactate threshold and I will be able to keep up that pace with little increase in HR till around 36 k and then guts it out to the end for a 3:20 finish. Of something like that.

5 Comments:

  • At Thu Mar 22, 10:51:00 pm AEST, Blogger plu said…

    Good answer - but it would be good to hold 4:25 pace I guess.

    cheers PLu

     
  • At Fri Mar 23, 12:26:00 pm AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    I wore my heart rate monitor in last week's marathon. That was the first time I had done so. I was previously a bit concerned about the HRM giving negative feedback that might make me slow down when, in the absence of that information, I may be able to will my body to do things that my mind wouldn't have thought possible...if that makes sense. But wearing it gave some valuable information. One of the curious points was that late in the race the limiting factor on my pace became leg fatigue, not heart rate creep. So once I couldn't go any faster because of leg fatigue, the heart rate dropped below what it had been a bit earlier. Changing wind conditions might have also had some influence on those results. I'll try to do a more detailed analysis and put it on my blog soon, but the bottom line is that I don't see that wearing a HRM in a marathon is of great importance one way or the other. More important is determining the fastest pace you can run that will still ward off leg-fatigue induced slowdown for as long as possible. The heart rate monitor can probably be of some help finding that pace (due to known correlation between training pace vs heart rate), but as you say, your correct marathon pace is going to be well and truly in aerobic territory. If you need the monitor to keep you away from straying into lactic accumulation pace, then you really have a problem with pace judgement -- you should be able to judge your appropriate pace w/out the HRM; an early pace that is "too fast" is going to start well within your aerobic HR zone. Having said that, being a lazy sod, my inclination is that I will probably wear it again in future marathons.

     
  • At Fri Mar 23, 01:00:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    All seems to be going well Robert Song. Don't let that taper paranoia get you....HA! who am I to talk!

     
  • At Fri Mar 23, 06:15:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    I am sure "taper paranoia" has blown in so you are ok on that front.

    Interest in Stephen's account of running with a monitor. I did my first marathon with one and found I could control my heart rate by concentrating on breathing and staying relaxed without suffering speed. At the end my effort was putting the rate up which I now understand is the switch to glycogen deletion as fuel compared to the fat burning early on. (Anaerobic versus Aerobic?)

     
  • At Sat Mar 24, 03:04:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Interesting comment from Stephen. That's what I found with the long runs for 6' - the HR would start dropping late in the runs.

    Getting on the right pace early (by feel) is important, and as Stephen said, that will be at a much lower HR than your anticipated 'average HR'. The hill up to Parly House doesn't help in this regard.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home