Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sunday - Alone again naturally

15.0k 1:12:41. HR Avg 164 Max 173 Avg Pace 4:50
Course: BRRC 15k.
Start Time: 6:10 am Temp 23C.
Session Type: Lactate Threshold Run

It was "Bring a Friend" at the Road Runners this morning which resulted in a big roll up this morning. Couldn't manage to muster a friend myself. I guess it is just the loneliness of the long distant runner.

I was going to do 10K before this race and make it 25K for the morning but yesterday my legs were feeling quite tired. Standing as an umpire for an hour and a half in Kewell's cricket yesterday may have made this more obvious rather than my normal sitting at a desk all day. Also my right knee which was a constant niggle last year but hadn't given me any trouble for the last couple of months was also aching. So I scaled it back to just doing the 15k and making it a Lactate Threshold Run at around 155 - 160 HR. I am planning on introducing a couple of these a week into my program, so today seemed as good a day as any.

After a couple of Ks of gentle warm up, the crowd assembled at the start in front of human megaphone , race day director Clairie. The race started as I planned and I did the first 5k in 24:06 (avg HR 150) . The second 5k loop was 24:02 but the HR was up to avg 164 by now. On the third loop, I was feeling the heat and I was getting some twinges from my left hammie so eased back a little but still managed 24:33 but at an avg HR 168. Gee the number of runners certainly thinned out on that third leg. Lots of 10k runners today.

I am aiming to get my Lactate Threshold level down to HR 155 but today's run shows that I am not close to that at the moment. But then again I wasn't really expecting it to be. I am a little disappointed that I didn't slow down and keep in my target HR zone though. The race atmosphere and the other runners around seems to have got to me. Not enough for me to visit the nearby tower at the start but next week, I can go back to running alone (again naturally) and stick with the program.

Week Total: 83K
Feb Total: 41K
Year Total: 382K

7 Comments:

  • At Sun Feb 04, 01:03:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    You'd want to be alone again naturally, with hair like that.

    I'm confused... My imagination has Clairie as a very quietly spoken demure lady.

    Slowing the pace to keep a constant HR takes such disipline - let alone in a race! I find it hard even for the 'white' runs.

     
  • At Sun Feb 04, 06:39:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    If Ewen's impressed with you constant HR, imagine how I feel!!

     
  • At Sun Feb 04, 08:16:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    hold on .... you weren't alone ... i for one was glad to see you .. 83K is a strong week

     
  • At Sun Feb 04, 09:10:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Great running. You looked so comfy out there and so fresh when you finished. Looks like the Canberra build up is going perfectly.

    Thanks so much for the film clip. I used to love that song. I was so jealous of my friend, whose surname is Sullivan, because she used to say that he was her cousin Gilberto.

     
  • At Mon Feb 05, 09:15:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    nice LT session RS. i confess to being a victim of said same problem, although in my case it's just one of the seven deadly sins
    looking strong mate, great mileage over the last few months!

     
  • At Tue Feb 06, 03:09:00 pm AEST, Blogger Mat said…

    Good run there. You were looking good as you wizzed around and around!

     
  • At Tue Feb 06, 06:42:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aw man. you could hvae taken me! i can't run, but i can show up on your arm looking faaabulous, dahlink!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home