Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Friday, November 03, 2006

Friday - Is This Just A Bad Patch

9.5k 53:08. HR Avg 130 Max 140 Avg Pace 5:35
Course: Work to Sydney St and Back.
Start Time: 4:35 pm Temp 19C.
Session Type: Easy Run

It has been over a week since my last entry. My last session was 1k intervals but this left me with a sore calf. I rested on the following Thursday. Friday it still felt a little uncomfortable, so decided to get up early Saturday morning for my run.
So I was out the door at 6:00am but after a 200 m I knew that this was not a good idea and returned home. Rested it again on Sunday.

By Monday, I was feling more confident about it and went out for a 20 minute jog. By the end though it was niggling me. I did manage another 20 minutes after that on the gym bike which seems not to worry it at all. Had Tuesday off and tried again Wednesday. This time I decided to do my run on the treadmill, so that if it did start to give me problems me I could stop. I managed 20 minutes without a problem and then did a further 20 minutes on the bike. Thursday I did the same, 20 minutes on the treadmill followd by 20 minutes on the bike and again no problem.

So tonight I tested it out with a proper run. I joined up with John and ran with him. This ensured I ran at a comfortable pace for me and I seemed to have survived OK.

All this has lead me to question my plans for the 10k race next weekend. I don't know the answer at this point. One thing I do know is that I need to be much more careful with speedwork in the future. A case of 'vaulting ambition o'erleaps itself'. If only ILikeToast had posted his advice a few days earlier and I had heeded his Step 5 , I may have taken things a little easier.

4 Comments:

  • At Sat Nov 04, 08:15:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    I wondered why you'd been so quiet. I thought maybe you were staying indoors for an extra few days to avoid the Cool Night Classic crowd.

    Fingers crossed it will all be okay by next Sunday. Guess this means you won't be up for the 3x5k relay in the morn. Bugger.

     
  • At Sun Nov 05, 08:59:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    That would be a shame. Mine was a tear which hung around 'forever' - hopefully your's isn't so bad.

    Take it easy this week and just see on the day. You could always start and DNF if starts mooing.

    Thanks for your tip re the 'slow test'. I think I'll try a 500m warm-up into it next time.

     
  • At Mon Nov 06, 12:09:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Take it easy for next couple of days and I am sure you will be on fire by the time the BRRC 10km comes around.

     
  • At Mon Nov 06, 06:21:00 pm AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    "Why'd ya do it?"

    You should be Faithfull to your plan.
    Those niggles are there to test you.

    I'm sure the 10k will be fine - just remember The Taper...
    Good luck on the weekend...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home