Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tuesday - Down up pedals, down, up, down

30:00. HR Avg 126 Max 160
Start Time: 5:30 pm.
Session Type: Gym Bike Intervals

5 minute warm up, then 10 sets of 1 minute hard 1 minute recovery, then 5 minute warm down. Followed it up with some weights and stretching.

I intend doing this sort of session a couple of times a week over the next six weeks. Because my legs are not up to pushing my heart and lungs this hard yet, it is a great way to get my cardio-vascular system working hard without over stressing the legs and risking injury.

So the plan for training is something like this.
Monday - Tempo Run ( 6 - 10K)
Tuesday - Gym Bike Intervals
Wednesday - Tempo Run 10k
Thursday - Gym Bike
Friday - Run Intervals or Hill session
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Long Run

Closer to the race I will replace one of the Bike sessions with an easy run and pick the pace up on one of the Tempo Runs.

R2B I hope this answers your question regarding Hadd training. I will start the base training again after the race in November and again follow the Hadd guidelines.


Clairie, the dink in the family car happened about three weeks ago so is not a new one. Here is one way to stop the problem of needing a big family car!




Also I think you misread my intentions re Kurrawa. I have re-read my blog entry and I quote:

Must say I didn't handle the sun and heat well today. I have done lots of training when it has been hot but usually in the late afternoon and not in direct sun. It will take a lot of convincing for me to attempt a race under these conditions again. You just got admire the people who did the solo 50k race not matter what time they did.

I drank about three liters of Gatorade after the event but still did not go to the toilet until I got back to Brisbane around 1:30pm. Quite shocked to see myself passing bright red urine which I could only imagine was blood. Seems to be back to a more normal colour now but just a indicator of how tough it was for me today.


But somehow, I get the feeling that a lot of convincing arguements may start being thrown at me.

3 Comments:

  • At Wed Oct 04, 06:11:00 am AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    I think part of the problem with the family planning is that people shouldn't enact the chorus of your song

    "ssh ooh ooh ssh ahh!"

    They need to find the right Mixture, in fact. Or perhaps seek help from Captain Zero In The Summertime
    Now you are right in my time (1970) element as a young lad...

     
  • At Wed Oct 04, 12:39:00 pm AEST, Blogger R2B said…

    Thanks for that RS!
    I am thinking a cross training session on the bike would be a good idea for myself also.

    I love that sign too...What can i say?

    Cheers R2B

     
  • At Fri Oct 06, 05:43:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Here are a couple of statements:

    "If you don't want to do it, then don't".

    "If you want to do it just because others are, and/or it's trendy, then don't".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home