Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sunday 28k @ HR 163 Pace 4:42

28.6k 2:13:54. HR Avg 163 Max 173 Avg Pace 4:42
Course: BRRC Four 7k laps.
Start Time: 6:00 am Temp 17 - 22C.
Session Type: Long Run

The plan for this morning's run was to give me some idea of what my target pace should be for Canberra. So I was planning to run around 4:45 Ks at the BRRC 28k run and see how I felt at the end.

The last few days has seen a cool change in the weather and it was a lovely 17C at the start. (Still a bit above the 10C in Canberra this morning). Quickly settled into my target pace and was feeling good. My HR was in the low 150s which I was happy with also. At the 6K marker I got a K split of 5:08 and thought I had must have gone to sleep. Upped the effort and found myself doing the next K in 4:35 and in the process my HR went up to over 160. First Lap in 33:36 (Avg HR 151).

Figured I wasn't too uncomfortable at this pace so kept it going at around 4:38 pace. In the second loop, at the 6k marker I got a split of 5:13 and wasn't so worried. Obviously this is a "long" K. Second lap in 32:58 (HR 163).

On the third lap the sun was now out on a few stretches, and I put on my CR cap when required. I had it tucked down the back of my shorts before this. This seems to be a good arrangement for me, as I hate wearing a cap if I don't need to and the cap is soft enough not to bother me when it is in my shorts. The field had started to thin out also and there didn't seem to be many going further than the 14K. I was sticking closely to target pace of 4:45 this lap but again the 6th K was 5:15. Third lap in 33:17 (HR 166).

Had a Gel at the start of the 4th lap and was maintaining my pace. By 25k, I was starting to get a bit weary and dropped to a 4:52 K heading up to Southbank. When feeling a little tired, all those sharp corners around the Library construction throw your rhythm out to some degree. A sixth K of 5:23 and a last K of 4:45 brought it home nicely for a final lap time of 34:03 (HR168).

That gave me and all up time of 2:13:54 (HR 163). My Polar measured the course at 28.6K and at that distance gave an average of 4:42 pace. Using the official distance of 28K would give me a pace of 4:47. I'm sure the 6th K is long. These are the average distance of each K as measured by my Polar.
1k 1.001K
2k 0.998K
3k 1.011K
4k 1.018K
5K 1.019K
6K 1.110K
7K 1.001K

So how did I feel at the end? I think I could have run at that pace for another 5K today but it would have been a struggle after that. With a bit of a taper over the next two weeks, I could probably expect to extend that to maybe the 36K mark. So at the moment, I am thinking 4:55 - 5:00 maybe a more realistic target pace range given that I don't want Canberra to be an all out effort. I am saving that for the Gold Coast.

WeeksKs: 80.1K
MTD Ks: 302.4K
YTD Ks: 882.6K

6 Comments:

  • At Sun Mar 26, 04:54:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    A good hit out for you this morning Robert Song. It certainly was a glorious morning. You seem to be in good form for Canberra. These last couple of weeks should see you very much race ready.

     
  • At Mon Mar 27, 12:16:00 am AEST, Blogger R2B said…

    Your going well Robert 3:16 for GC is coming along just fine at this rate.

     
  • At Mon Mar 27, 04:59:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Looks like I just found another person to run with if you intend on doing that pace!

    Yes I agree...that 6th km was wrong.

     
  • At Mon Mar 27, 09:11:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    That 6th km was wrong last time too! We must get on to the committee about that.

    Maybe it was just the constant 7k loops, and all that messing around at the construction site, that made you think it would be a struggle after another 5k. I'd bet on a straight out and back course you'd be feeling different.

     
  • At Tue Mar 28, 09:08:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Looking at the times I thought you can pick a quicker Canberra ...... it is up to you after all ..... any time to run a marathon is good in my books.

    Remind me not to try your hat on.

     
  • At Fri Mar 31, 09:30:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Of course, all the km marks will be spot on in Canberra ;-)

    There's nice new bitumen on Kings Ave Bridge so that should save a few seconds. Comm Bridge is down to 2 lanes so that could be a bit of a squeeze.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home