Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Sunday 37k @ HR 142 Pace 5:06

37.0k 3:09:08. HR Avg 142 Max 168 Avg Pace 5:06
Course: Bowen Bridge and the Gap Cycle.
Start Time: 5:00 am Temp 20C.
Session Type: Long Run

Another early Sunday morning. Today's run was to be a bit of a trial of some race day strategies. So I had caffeine tablet (100mg) and a Gel 30 minutes before starting.
The plan was do the first 25k at normal long run pace (ie HR 135 - 140) and then step up the pace to a least 5:00 m/K for the 11k loop on the bike path.

It was refreshingly cool relative to recent times and I made it out to Bowen Bridge in 64:55 (HR 135) without hardly raising a sweat. On the way back, I had a gel at around 19k and this really seemed to help me get through the hilly sections on the way home. So came back in 66:38 (Hr 140). This gave me 2:11:33 (HR 138) for this section which is a distinct improvement from the 2:15:47 (HR 140) from two weeks ago.

I had another gel now and set off for the final 11k loop. I must admit the combination of cooler weather and the gels was making me feel strong in comparison too previous runs and found it quite easy to run at just under 5min/K pace. Ended up doing 54:24 (HR 155) for the loop at an avg pace of 4:55. I am very pleased with that especially being able to do it at the 155 HR. So all up 9 min 18 sec faster than last time over this course and I am encouraged by that and am looking forward to not only Canberra but being able to get lots more improvement in for an all out effort at the Gold Coast in July.

Timed the run nicely, as I could settle down and watch the Games marathons. Although there was not much to see in the early stages. The women's race turned into a classic encounter and you won't see too many marathons that feature a battle over the final stages like that witnessed between McCann and the Kenyan Helen Koskei. Sadly there could only be one winner and McCann was just that little bit stronger at the end but I have immense admiration for both runners as they both dug deep in an attempt to win.

The marathon is such a tough event if you go out and give it your all. I know I carry some deep emotional scaring from my previous attempts which always seems to surface when I see races like that and competitors like Kate Smythe who are absolutely spent.

So in only a matter of a couple of hours, I am now wondering what I have got myself back into and will I survive the emotional rollercoaster that is the marathon.

Week Total: 87K plus a bike session
March Total: 222K
YTD: 802K

3 Comments:

  • At Sun Mar 19, 09:09:00 pm AEST, Blogger CJ said…

    You should find Canberra weather a tad cooler, especially in the mornings. Though, come to think of it, last year's marathon was unusually warm.

    I felt for Kate Smythe as well - it was a gutsy effort. The marathon can take its toll and though I haven't been quite as bad as that, I have certainly 'hit the wall' - not a nice feeling. I'm hoping to avoid that this year.

     
  • At Mon Mar 20, 01:47:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    You've got yourself back into something good Robert.

    Your training's going well. Don't forget your gloves and beanie.

     
  • At Mon Mar 20, 10:35:00 pm AEST, Blogger R2B said…

    I am almost finished reading Hadds guide Robert its really good and it makes so much sense i will buy a new HRM to replace the one i have lost.
    What are your Marathon goals if you don't mind my asking?
    Or will i have to extrapolate from your training?

    Cheers R2B

     

Post a Comment

<< Home