Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, March 12, 2006

BRRC Half Marathon @ HR 167 Pace 4:33

21.1k 1:36:05. HR Avg 167 Max 182 Avg Pace 4:33
Course: West End BRRC Half Marathon.
Start Time: 6:00 am Temp 21C.
Session Type: Race

My plan for the race today was to start out at around HR 160/165 and keep at that intensity till 16k and then run a bit stronger in the last 5k if I could. A HR above 160 is a little bit higher than my current top training target of 155 and I suspect just pushes me over my Lactate Threshold level, so I was very interested to see how I would handle this. I have virtually done no training yet at this level of intensity and was not expecting to pull anything too exceptional out of the bag.

The day started with an unexpected and much appreciated bonus, as My Wife decided to come and watch today. On the drive there, she asked me what my target pace was and I told her I thought 4:35 would be pretty close to what I would do.

It was interesting lining up at the start line today fresh as in recent events I have been running before the races to make up the Ks.

The gun didn't go off (it misfired) and we were away.
Did the first 1.1k in 5:05 (4:40 pace) and then quickly settled into a 4:36 pace.
Did the first 5K loop in 23:00 (HR 161 4:36) and the second loop in 22:59 (HR 166 Pace 4:36). Eddie and Clairie were a fair way in front of me but Tesso was about 50 m in front of me. I was thinking that I might try to get up with her in the third loop but she seemed to take off and stretched the gap. The third loop was 22:53 (HR 170 4:35).

So things were going exactly to plan. I was feeling good and was confident I could up the pace and now was determined to catch Tesso. So over the next 3k I slowly reeled her in, so that by the time we turned at the milk factory she was only 20m in front. With one K to go I was just behind her and had upped the pace to 4:25. I figured it would be best to fly past her in the hope of getting the jump on her. I didn't want to get in a dogfight with her as I know how tough and strong she is. So I stormed past at 3:33 pace briefly and kept hard at it till the finishing line. I was half expecting her to come charging past me at any time. So managed a storming 4:00 last K and a top HR of 182 which is getting close to my Max. This gave me a 22:08 last loop (HR 178 4:26). So I managed to be quicker with each successive loop.

I wore my new ASIC Kayanos today for only the third time and they felt good. I will target them for my race shoes in Canberra. I attached the Polar foot pod to them for the run today and it came up with a distance of 21.088 K only 7 meters out. I have been a bit worried that my 14.8k training course isn't quite that distance, so will use these shoes to check it out now that I know the calibration is spot on.

Had a good chat with Eddie after the run and we talked about the Canberra course. Also spoke with Tesso and was feeling a bit guilty about my grandstanding race tactics. Clairie was very excited and so she should have been with a big PB and a third over all.

It was very nice having My Wife there encouraging me on. Maybe the kids will come one day.

It has been a quieter training week this week.

Week Total 53K
March Total 134K
YTD 715K

Now only 16 weeks to Gold Coast.

2 Comments:

  • At Sun Mar 12, 04:17:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Wonderful to see you out there Robert, though next time you will have to warn me if you are going to run incognito :)

    Isn't it great to have your partners on the sidelines giving their silent support. I think just getting out of bed at 5am is a big ask for my partner...but he does it non the less for the championship races.

    Tesso is going to have to run you down at the next race you know that don't you? Can't have someone going past in the last km...though hopefully we will make sure she tapers for the next one so she can bump up the points scale for BRRC.

    You had a great run and seem to be doing the runs with more ease each time I see you. I hope I look as strong when I am out there running!!!

    See you at the next one.

     
  • At Sun Mar 12, 05:58:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Re Clairie's commnet - the only way I'll be able to run you down is in my car ;-)

    Very controlled run by you this morning. And don't feel guilty! I was actually quite pleased when you bolted past me ... pleased you weren't a girl, I wanted max points!

    Honestly, I was about to really drop my pace, and had told myself one 5 min km at the end would be okay. But because you went fast I had to as well, and thanks to you my last km (4:30) was my fastest!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home