Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sunday early run and then BRRC Race

29.0k 2:25:10. HR Avg 155 Max 178 Avg Pace 5:08
Course: Around West End & BRRC 15k race.
Start Time: 4:40am Temp 22C.
Session Type: Easy Run and Race

Up at 3:45 am this morning. The plan was to get as many Ks in as I could before the start of the BRRC 15k race that was starting at 6:00am. Arrived at West End at 4:40 and did just under 14k in 1:11. Nice run along the river and over the Goodwill Bridge. Arrived back at West End in just enough time to have a big drink of Gatorade, register for the race and have a pit stop before setting off on the 15k race ( 3 five K laps).

I started conservatively and did the first lap in 25:57 (Pace 5:12 m/k , HR 154). I had pre-race thoughts of doing HR 155 all the way but I was feeling so good, I decided to do the next lap at HR 165. So I upted the pace a little and started picking off the runners in front of me. Second lap was 24:53 (Pace 4:59 HR 164). I was still not feeling any tightness in my legs, so decide to just see what sort of pace I could hold for the next 5k. So upted the pace again. I was still passing a lot of people which was great for my focus but with 2k to go there was no one I could see in front of me. But I was travelling well and I managed to hold my form to the end. Third lap in 23:20 (Pace 4:40 HR 174).

All in all a very satisfying training session. Very pleased with how easy the last 5k was. I just need to run that pace at HR 160 which is my target HR for the marathon. I'm banking on this happening when I start doing some harder speed sessions.

Caught up with Eddie, Clarie and Karisma after the run who are all like me training for Canberra. Didn't catch any of them in the race though ;-)

There was a just little beeding on my arm but the scars are looking much better. 76K for the week is a good return to running. 240K so far this month.

2 Comments:

  • At Sun Jan 29, 03:44:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    An excellent training session tis morning Robert Song. It's good to be able to combine a long run with a race. I think the race enables you to push yourself that bit harder.

     
  • At Tue Jan 31, 09:40:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    A 14k warmup for a 15k run - yikes! Remind me not to do a warmup with you at Canberra.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home