Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Post Op Recovery

It is now two days since I had the surgey on my arm and back to remove various skin cancers. Thankfully they were all excised adequately so no follow up surgery required. Tomorrow morning, I am supposed to be able to take off the dressings and be free to go about things normally. I don't know if the doctor would class running 30k as normal or not!

One of the wounds on my arm is still very swollen and seeping blood, so I don't hold out much hope that it will be OK by tomorrow. I was hoping to start running again then but Saturday or Sunday might be more realistic. Guess it is better than the last time in 2002 when I had to spend 3 weeks in bed recovering with my leg elevated.

I thought that this would be a good rest period for the legs but they feel very heavy. They were very swollen last night as well.

Let this be a lesson to all, respect the sun and slip, slop, slap.

4 Comments:

  • At Fri Jan 20, 10:00:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Hope the wounds don't hold you back for too long. And 30k is normal - for you :-)

    You'll be happy to know I slapped on the sunscreen at 5:45 this morn before going for a run .... in the rain!

     
  • At Fri Jan 20, 10:05:00 am AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    I'm hearing you Robert....I feel very strange and kids thing I am weird when I put sunscreen on the bathroom counter when I go to bed -so I remember to slap it on when I get up at 4am for my morning runs!!

    You tend to forget to put it on when it is still night time :)

     
  • At Fri Jan 20, 08:01:00 pm AEST, Blogger Hannah said…

    Hope you're feeling better soon!

     
  • At Sun Jan 22, 04:30:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    I hope you managed to do something 'normal' today Robert.

    That's a good reminder about the sunscreen for the long runs. My weekday runs are okay as I usually do them in the evenings.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home