Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, February 28, 2010

BRRC Half Marathon Championships

Well what a difference a couple of weeks can make. As you may or may not recall two weeks ago I struggled big time to complete 11ks.

Today I completed the Half Marathon at the BRRC in 2hr 08 min 32 secs and finished in much better shape than two weeks ago. I didn't know whether I would be able to go the distance today as the longest I had run was 12k last Wednesday but I was prepared to give it a go. I knew I had to run conservatively if I was going make it, so started out at around 6:18 pace but as the race went on and I became more assured that I was going to make the distance I upped the pace and in the end averaged under 6:00 for the last 5k lap despite the steamy conditions.

My splits for the laps were:
1st Lap (1.1k) 6:32
2nd Lap (5 k) 31:30
3rd Lap (5k ) 31:02
4th Lap (5k ) 30:21
5th Lap (5k ) 29:54.

I am over the moon with this result and I am now looking forward to the Twilight Half in three weeks time and getting under 2 hours looks like a good goal for me to aim for.

I know one thing for sure tomorrow will be a rest day as my legs are feeling very sore tonight.

5 Comments:

  • At Mon Mar 01, 02:05:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Happy days are here again....for you....and for me, knowing that you've come so far in such a short time!

    Great news, Graham! I couldn't be happier for you....onwards & upwards you go!

    Fantastic result!

     
  • At Mon Mar 01, 03:30:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Looks like a comeback in the making Robert Song. I was almost going to go to that race but decided I'd better come back here and do some work. Anyway I'll meet you down there soon enough.

    Congrats you must now see an opening.

     
  • At Tue Mar 02, 08:37:00 am AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Excellent race Graham! Looks like you ran it perfectly, finishing with sub-6s for the last lap - you could teach Steve Lacey a thing or two about pacing ;)

    It'll be good to follow your improvement over the 'winter' season.

     
  • At Tue Mar 02, 03:52:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Happy days indeed!

    Glad to see it went so well. Looks like your body has a long memory!

     
  • At Wed Mar 03, 09:14:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Well done Graham. You looked strong out there. Can't believe you got faster and faster each lap!

    I rested all day Monday too. Wish I was still resting but like you the next goal beckons...sub 2hrs sounds like a positive goal. Won't be long before you are lapping me again so I had better enjoy it whilst I can.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home