Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Rethinking

After the Half last Sunday I haven't pushed it too hard this week.
Monday:
Much needed rest day.

Tuesday:
9.5k HR 145 Pace 5:44. In the pouring rain. Lovely.

Wednesday:
No run. Went to the Australia v Indonesia Asian Cup Qualifier. The 1-0 win by the Socceroos sealed qualification for Qatar 2011.

Thursday:
13k 72:34 HR 152 Pace 5:34. Really pleased with this effort.

Friday:
Legs still a bit sore from last night so 30 minutes on the Gym Bike.

Saturday:
Rest. One of those days when my legs are really swollen. A lot of lying down.

Sunday:
15.2k 96:32 HR 146 Pace 6:21. Really humid this morning. Was thinking I'd maybe go 20k but the creek was still running high after all the rain and was well over the crossing, so turned around. This still is a big effort for me.

I have been contemplating my speculating on going sub 2 hours for the Twilight Half in two weeks time. An 8 and a half minute improvement in three weeks seems a bit optimistic when you break it down to a 25 seconds a Kilometer improvement for 21k. No need to put pressure on myself at this stage as I really should only be contemplating building my endurance base for the next three months.

Also I really need to get the feeling back into my feet and for the periodic swelling of my ankles and legs to go away before I can really do anything serious.

5 Comments:

  • At Sun Mar 07, 08:55:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    How often are the feet puffing up? And what % of feeling have you lost? Are you expecting to get back full feeling before you can runn your best or will 80% be enough?

    Anyway as long as you can keep improving. The base building sounds like the right thing for now though.

    by the way are you still putting music together?

     
  • At Mon Mar 08, 11:43:00 am AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Going on Thursday's run I'd say sub-2 hours is very realistic. You just need the legs/feet to be OK and to be feeling good on the day... only need to keep that pace (which should feel easy with race-day adrenaline) going for another 8k.

     
  • At Fri Mar 12, 09:26:00 am AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you do more running that I do!!

    I think you should aim for running your best on the day. So whatever time that comes for as long as you know you did your best...it doesnt matter! Thats what I do when I know I am not going to do a PB.

    BTW do you like soccer? I am going to SA for the Grand Final and two semi finals in July...are you jealous??

    I might need you to teach me some thing about the game, oh yeah and who should I be going for? Assuming Aus is not going to be in the final 4 :)

     
  • At Fri Mar 12, 09:28:00 am AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That comment is from me - Clairie :) sorry I have lost all my access to passwords at moment. :) Its me I swear!
    I highfived you once and you highfived me once at BRRC last run.

    oh yeah and our secret password is DOT ha ha sorry now I am just dribbling. Okay maybe see you Sunday - not sure if I will be there have sons 18th Birthday Sat night!

     
  • At Sun Mar 14, 08:21:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'd say that your best bet is to go out and have fun, and the time is the time (fully recognising the competitive nature of runners!). Just finishing 2 half's in a month is an impressive aim in my opinion!

    Regardless of what your aim is, good luck.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home