Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Monday, February 15, 2010

Harvest

Three weeks ago I started a Peripheral Stem Cell Harvest procedure. This started with two days of chemo and an overnight stay in hospital followed by a week of growth factor hormones to stimulate stem cell production. I then finished with two days hooked up to an aupheresis machine for the actual harvesting.

I thought I might have been able to at least maintain my fitness during this period but I underestimated the dose of chemo they were going to give me and the first week I could hardly get out of bed let alone do any exercise and the second week found me rather drained by the actual harvest procedure.

So last week found me getting back into running but at a level I was six weeks ago.

Yesterday I did 11k in 69:07 (6:17 avg pace) at an alarmingly high Heart Rate. I was reduced to no more than a shuffle at the end and could not have gone one step further.

At the start of the year, I set a goal of doing all the BRRC Champ races this year. With the Half Marathon in two weeks this is going to be a huge challenge.

"Dream up Dream up,
Let me fill your cup."

6 Comments:

  • At Mon Feb 15, 02:42:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    That is the last procedure right Robert Song? So you reckon that it did the trick and you are cancer free?

    If that is indeed the case then you have a long time in which to come back, so no need to rush it this year.

    Have a look at old Earl Fee, the Canadian WR holder, run at 80. The guy has the stride of a 20 year old. Hope for us all.

     
  • At Mon Feb 15, 04:34:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Scott's right! There's even hope still around for me, so there has to be lots more of it coming your way!

    Take it easy though!

     
  • At Mon Feb 15, 07:06:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Maybe hope for you LL if you get a decent coach!

     
  • At Tue Feb 16, 03:47:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    That Scott Brown knows how to stick the boot in, while at the same time maintaining he's your friend!

    That sounds like a tough procedure. For a gun like you to be reduced to 6:17 kms (my everyday training pace), is saying something.

    I'm sure you're up to the half marathon challenge. But maybe not up to racing as fast as Luckylegs does these days ;)

     
  • At Tue Feb 16, 06:17:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Geez Louise that sounds tough!!

    Hope the tests and treatments and cancer are all behind you. That said I know when you have cancer..you have it. You live with it for life. Hopefully though you are healthy and able to regain your fitness to a level you are happy and comfortable with.

    I just had time off (no illness) and I found it such a struggle. Not just in words, it REALLY WAS TOUGH in coming back to a level where I could even begin to compare previous performances. I am not there yet but I am at least feeling the progress.

    Hopefully the next few weeks you rest up (don't you dare show up for the half in two weeks!!!) and do some easy jogging around home. No point going all out and getting an injury - that would be just rubbing salt into the wound.

    Take care Graeme

     
  • At Wed Feb 17, 04:45:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh, wow, sounds nasty. The only thing that I can think is that the years of tough training probably helped you through.

    It might seem like you're a long way off with running, but I'd bet that once it's no longer necessary to go through all the treatments (and the ensuing setbacks) you'll rocket back to where you were.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home