Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Where To Now St Peter

On Sunday two weeks ago I did the 35 k event at the BRRC. I had been getting some strange niggles from my left ankle but had rested a few days early in the week but had completed three easy runs on Wed, Thu and Friday without it really bothering me so I thought it was worthwhile giving it a hit out with 4 weeks to go before the Brisbane Marathon. My aim was something around 5 min/K and I managed 2 hours 53 minutes. Only problem was that in the last 3k I started to feel the ankle. On Monday it was so sore that walking on it was a real problem.

So it was back to the Gym Bike and no running. By Thursday I could walk around without any pain but I gave it quite a few more days rest. So on Monday I went out for a 5k walk and it gave me no problems. On Tuesday I thought I would do an easy 5k but after just 800m it was apparent it wasn't right so I turned back and did a session on the gym bike.

This has been a baffling injury. I have not really been able to nail down exactly what the problem is. None of the signs or symptoms match up with anything in the text books.

I had not been feeling a 100% anyway and had been having some abdominal bloating pains, so a visit to the doctors was in order to get some help on this injury.

Well things don't always work out how you expect and the Doc was more interested in my stomach than my ankle and sent me of for a scan and some X-rays for the ankle.

The result is that I have some health issues which I need to address and so running is going to be on the back burner for a while. So no Brisbane Marathon this year.

You can view this from a variety of angles.

TAOISM: Shit happens.
CONFUCIANISM: Confucius say, "Shit happens".
ZEN: (What is the sound of shit happening?)
JESUITISM: If shit happens and when nobody is watching, is it really shit?
ISLAM: Shit happens if it is the will of Allah.
CATHOLICISM: Shit happens because it's your fault.
PROTESTANTISM: Let this shit happen to someone else.
JUDAISM: Why does shit always happen to US?
AGNOSTICISM: What is this shit?
ATHEISM: I don't believe this shit!

4 Comments:

  • At Mon Aug 10, 01:15:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    That's really a crying shame. You going to do well had you made it to the line in Brisbane.

    All is not lost as long as you can nip the other health problems in the bud you can be back to it before too long.

    Let us know how things progress Robert Song.

     
  • At Mon Aug 10, 03:23:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    That's a crying shame Graham. You were running so well too. Hope you can get the health issue sorted soon. You can't run without your health.

    I like "If shit happens when nobody is watching, is it really shit?"

     
  • At Thu Aug 13, 03:13:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh no, it seems my last comment was a bit premature! I hope that all is getting better rapidly.

    I think I could use a modified quote at home: "Why is the shit always MY fault?"

     
  • At Thu Aug 13, 08:45:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    That is really bad news Graham. If the health issues are stopping you from running then they must be serious, but not too serious I hope. Whatever the issues are, do what it takes to get better. There will be another marathon opportunity down the track. All the best mate.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home