Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

This week has been just been easy runs in order to recover from the Gold Coast Half but I still managed to rack up 83k. As well I picked up a RS Index Best of 643 for my 13k run on Wednesday night by doing it in avg pace of 4:50 at HR 133. I suppose it is hardly a surprise to see that I am in top aerobic condition given my good run in the Half.

YIKES!!!
When I put that 1:26:48 time into McMillian it says 3:03 for the Marathon. Given I thought with another 6 weeks training I could knock some more time off the Half, then the Marathon predictions is getting tantalisingly close to that magical sub 3 marker. I certainly hope to go under 3:10 but at this point I am not entertaining the thought of a sub 3. At the moment, it is just gets down to doing the training over the next six weeks and setting a target close to race day based on where my training gets me to.

It was good news to have the Brisbane Marathon course released. It is very much as it has been in other years so no surprises and basically flat except for going over the Goodwill Bridge four times.

3 Comments:

  • At Mon July 13, 08:30:00 am AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    This post's title sounds like something from the "Hitchhiker's Guide".

    I thought you would be close to 3 hours with that half time. Geez you'll probably get a sub 3 before me!

    I wish you all the best with any attempt and will use your resurgence to help in my campaign.
    Everytime I hear footsteps behind me I'll quiken the pace. Saying to myself "Don't let that old bloke Robert Song get ahead of you!"

     
  • At Tue July 14, 09:30:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    And if you'd eased up for the half, you might have run sub-1:26!

    With good weather I'd put a few beers on you running 3:05-07 in Brissie. After that, who knows?!

    Great RS on that run. I'm back in the high 700s, after being down around 700 before the injury. The RS scale is great fitness indicator, that's for sure.

     
  • At Fri July 17, 12:04:00 am AEST, Blogger TA and the Gnome said…

    It's never a good idea to run a good half and then plug the time into Mcmillan. All it does is scare you with how fast you could/should/would run at the next marathon. Best of luck with the 3:10! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home