Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

After a relatively easy recovery week last week, tried to ramp it up a little this week.

Tues - 13k 58:34 (HR 151 4:30)
Wed - 9.5k 41:22 (HR 148 4:21)

On both these runs I felt a little niggle in my left ankle a few times but nothing after the run.

Thu - 18.8k 90:38 (HR133 4:49)
A little slower but again a felt the ankle a few times.

Fri - 9.5k 43:30 (HR 138 4:34)
Didn't feel the ankle on the run but did when I stopped. Put an ice pack on just in case.

Sat - 9k Ran first 2.5k with Kewell so that was nice and easy and then finished with 6.5k at 4:35 pace with no problems. So at least I felt comfortable going out and doing a long run on Sunday.

Sun 31.5k 2:34:23 (146 4:54) - I had wanted to do 36k today but pulled the pin on the extra 5.5k as I thought it wasn't worth the risk of pushing the ankle too much. Still it was a good run and the ankle only started to niggle right at the end. I have an ice pack on it again so will have to see how it pulls up tomorrow.

This is starting to worry me. The actual niggle is really only very minor but an injury is something I haven't had to deal with for such a long time and it is causing me more head problems than physical ones. Although I shouldn't complain, I could be this guy.






The title of my last post was a Pink Floyd song title. I thought it was much more appropraite than the Floyd title I used for this post.

5 Comments:

  • At Mon July 20, 12:24:00 am AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    That niggle must be a worry Robert Song. I hope it works itself out.

    You could have titled that post "All in all it's just another brick" on his head.

    But I'm glad you didn't.

     
  • At Mon July 20, 07:27:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    That's incredible! Especially the bit where he dropped a brick and moved his foot to protect his niggly ankle ;)

    Don't burn the toast at this stage. A few missed runs a'la Scott Wanjiru won't do any harm.

     
  • At Tue July 21, 12:41:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Congratulation on your amazing GC half. 1:26:48 is fantastic. Keep up the great work Robert Song. I am truly impressed.

     
  • At Wed Aug 05, 05:29:00 am AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Thanks for all the music, advice and support during my sub 3 attempts Robert Song. It has all been terrific stuff.

    Not long now until the Brisbane marathon. How are you feeling?

     
  • At Thu Aug 13, 03:09:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Nice work on the GC half, and then backing up so well so soon after! Hopefully the niggle won't turn into much except mental anguish.....

    Now that I'm finally getting back onto training after "fixing" my Achilles (finally), can you please remind me of the fitness scale you use. All I can remember is that it's a combo of HR and pace. I think it might come in handy.

    My email address is: bayden.russell at adelaide.edu.au

    As for the bricks, I'd like to show our OH&S people that one!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home