Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, May 10, 2009

TBITW

4th - 10th AprilMon 2.5k slow recovery jog with Kewell
Tus 13.0k 64:47 (4:59 HR 134)
Wed 18.0k 1:27:04 (4:50 HR 138)
Thu 9.5k 40:32 (4:16 HR 155)
Fri 13k 63:08 (4:51 HR 142)
Sat 2.5k slow recovery with Kewell
Sun 7k 27:34 (3:56 HR 168)
Week 67.5k
Year 1308k

After last Sunday's long run my calves in both legs were very sore on Monday morning. They didn't loosen up much through the day so I was happy just to do the 2.5k jog with Kewell in the afternoon.
Monday was in fact a Public Holiday for Labor Day, so Tuesday kind of felt like a Monday at work. I guess my legs also felt the same way as they were still very tight.
By Wednesday things were getting back to normal.
Thursday's tempo run is continuing in progression but I do now find that Friday's run has to be a bit easier because of the hard nature of the tempo run.

On Sunday morning, it was the BRRC 7k Championships. There used to be a natural 7k loop at the location but with the move to a new start and the construction work on the riverside, the 7k is a bit contrived now. It was a lovely morning for racing at around 13C. It turned out I had a nice battle with Tuttle for the last 2.5k but I just didn't have the speed training in me to respond to his kick up the final hill and he beat me by a few seconds. Still I managed 27:34 and a first place in my age Category. That is now three wins in a row in my age group (Half, 10k , 7k). Where have all the fast guys gone?

As you know I have a keen interest in music and when the beat is right I don't mind shaking the hips and showing my best moves. This video kind of gives you the picture. But what really struck a chord with me was the child's reaction to his father's behaviour. Luckly my kids just roll there eyes up and sigh.

6 Comments:

  • At Mon May 11, 07:21:00 am AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Hey Robert Song

    I don't know what happen to the fast guys, perhaps you are aging more slowly than them thesedays.

    Great clip, you should put that song on one of your mixes. By the way. I've been trying what you suggested vis-a-vis the music downloads but can't get them no matter what I try.

    If you could send a couple of them by post here I'd be stoked. I'm finding my Ipods' play list bland in comparison to your Tower of Song mix and I need this kind of variety to get me through the mileage I'm doing now.

    Anyway, when and if you can, send me an email at abenoki@gmail.net
    and I'll send you my address.

    Keep up the good racing and training.

     
  • At Tue May 12, 07:59:00 am AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Hey Robert Song...you ARE the fast guy. You have worked for those wins aand deserve them.

    In response to your comment on my blog: I know that I should be running more at West End the competition is good for me but to be quite honest, I just can' seem to face the repeats along Riverside Drive. I first started losing interest when the circuit was reversed when we were still at the old start. I know that sounds a bit feeble but once the break is made it is hard to get over the mindset.

     
  • At Tue May 12, 08:10:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Anyone running sub-4 minute ks is a fast guy as far as I'm concerned. Good race! 661.6 on the RS scale too. What chance a sub-40 M50 10k PB?

    I'd like to see you do the "Oooh Mow Mow" moves ;)

     
  • At Tue May 19, 02:42:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    "Where have all the fast guys gone?"
    Quite obviously behind you. There are many younger blokes who would love to be able to do sub-4 average for 7 km..... me included! Nice work.

     
  • At Tue June 02, 05:40:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Where are you Robert Song? Somewhere out with the fast guys?

     
  • At Wed June 03, 02:18:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Scott, he's probably still shovelling mud out of the garage - you know what they say about that perfect Queensland weather - "blowing a gale one day, flooding a river the next".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home