Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Monday, June 08, 2009

Over 50 PB for Half M

Yesterday was the Qld Half Marathon at Doomben and after the close call at the Twilight Half in April, I can now claim a new Over 50 PB with my time of 1:29.34.

I started out a little quickly with 4:04 and a 4:05 for the first two Ks but after that settled down into target pace of 4:15. Slowed a little in the 19th and 20th K to 4:20 but managed to pick it up and come home strongly for a 4:11 last K.

Even for a Brisbane winter's day it was very mild conditions and the humidity at 97% made conditions a little uncomfortable in the later stages of the race.

It was good to catch up with everyone including Rob who I hadn't seen for ages.

Training over the last months has mostly been positive. The biggest problem was the big rain we had a few weeks ago which again flooded under our house. And it was only a month since the new carpet was laid from the last flooding. So that day we spent a long time soaking up the excess water by stomping on towels. For some reason which I still can't fathom this left me with really really sore upper legs. It was as if I had run two marathons. I could hardly walk the next day and it was another three days before I thought it was wise to go for a run. Apart from that I am managing 90 -100 k a week including one tempo run.

Have entered for the Half at Gold Coast but now the Brisbane Marathon on August 23rd is my main race goal. 11 weeks to go!

4 Comments:

  • At Tue June 09, 02:37:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Excellent race Robert Song - by my calculations that's worth around 1:15:50 as a whipper snapper.

    Thanks for the tip - I'll introduce some "towel stomping" in my next 6' preparation to build up the quads ;)

    Thanks for your comment about Hosaka - I think his training is not that far removed from Lydiard - the pace of his intervals are quite moderate (for him) - even the 3:20 km is barely faster than his 10k race pace. I don't know that he has that much room for improvement - his marathon PB is apparently equivalent to 2:07:XX for an open-age runner.

     
  • At Tue June 09, 06:08:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    You must be happy to be back under 1:30:00 for the half. 1:15:50 age graded is something else!

    Now your kids are going to have to beat that time or forever live in your shadow.

    Is there anything worse than wet carpet?

     
  • At Wed June 10, 05:53:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Nice run! Bodes well for the full in August.

    Ick, wet carpet, bugger. Not much worse than that.

     
  • At Sun June 14, 06:10:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    It was good to catch up Graham. Congratulations again, on such an excellent run. GC will probably see you improve on that time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home