Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Monday, May 04, 2009

Summer Leaves, Autumn Arrives


The official results from the Twilight Half put me down for a chip time of 1:31:47 and a third place in the M50 - 59 Category. I took comfort from the fact that in that race nobody older than me beat me.


I don't know where the 4 seconds difference between my own timing and the chip's comes from. So I didn't get to beat my Over 50 PB. That will have to wait till Doomben next month.


The race took at little time to recover from and I picked up an ear infection as well in the week after so it has been slow getting back into full training.


The last two weeks have seen me do 94k an 99k including a 31.5k run on Sunday morning . On some days I have done a 2.5k run in the morning with my son Kewell to help him get some fitness for the soccer season. At around 6min/k they are really recovery paced runs.


One session a week now is a long tempo run (9.5k) which at the moment I am averaging at around 4:20 pace but the last couple of Ks is under 4:10. When I get more used to that pace, I will start upping the distance.


At last the humidity and temperature has dropped over April and conditions are now starting to get very pleasant for training.
At ZeRO, they have had a May Music Mixathon to start off May. I have put up three mixes over the last few days. Details here if you are interested and here if you want to listen.

Swine Flu? I don't know how I would go having to run in a face mask.




3 Comments:

  • At Tue May 05, 11:44:00 am AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    I would go by your time Graham. Though officially I know its best to follow the race results.
    At the Twilight Half, the timing chip seems to be out for a lot of the runners and we have had much debate in our discussions on why...I just think the chips on the chest are not as accurate as the feet ones.

    Great job on the tempo runs..that is awesome stuff and I am amazed at your ability to run like that on your own. i would just be a wimp and take it easy if no one was watching :)

     
  • At Fri May 08, 04:06:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    That's a good cartoon! Almost up there with Scott Brown's blog for laughs.

    Maybe the starting mat didn't work? Anyway, that's a good time - great pace on the tempo runs too.

    As for the RS LAI © - I'm not sure my ancient 3 year old computer would be powerful enough to run that. I'll stick with the RS (for simpletons) scale. Speaking of which, I'm with you on the trend-line thing. This week, post Nail Can, the numbers have been a bit high.

     
  • At Sat May 09, 02:36:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    I wonder how important is the tempo? Will is determine your marathon pace whilst all the long work gives you the endurance?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home