Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Monday, February 23, 2009

Music in the Air

Last week 16 - 22nd Feb

Mon 9.5k - 50:45 (5:20 HR 131) - Recovery Run
Tue 13k - 60:45 (4:40 HR 146)
Wed 18k - 88:25 (4:54 HR 142)
Thu 3k - 28:42 - Recovery Run
Fri 18k - 86:57 (4:49 HR 146)
Sat - Rest
Sun 25k - 2:09:25 (5:10 HR 143)

This week I made a big effort to keep my recovery runs slow. Thursday's was a little unplanned as I forgot to bring a singlet to work to run in. So I went home through peak hour traffic which took me about 30 minutes longer than my normal trip. I have been trying to encourage Kewell to get out and do some running so he will be fit for the upcoming football season, so my unexpected arrival home gave us the opportunity to go out together. He was less than pleased but I was rather looking forward to running with him. So what was going to be a slow run turned into a game of cat and mouse. Somehow he was always managed to be about 10 metres behind me. No matter how slow I went he never caught up. If I stopped he stopped. If I jogged on the spot he did the same.

My other runs showed good progress. My long run on Sunday over my 25k course was the first time I have ever negative split this course (65:20 , 64:05). That is quite a feat as it is generally downhill out and uphill back. I think that it helped there was a slight head wind back which seemed to make it just a little cooler on the way back. But with Relative Humidity in the 85 - 90% zone it is still too humid for my liking.

Came across this video from the early 60s the other day. I know Tesso & JD will love it. Hope you do too.

8 Comments:

  • At Tue Feb 24, 02:13:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    It's a shame you're not running Canberra. If you can negative split now in the humidity on that course the coolness of Canberra could see you run a fast race.You may well be fit enough in 7 weeks.

    Interesting story about running with your son. Now if I could get my son to follow me at 10 meters when we go shopping that would be a trick.

    I've been trying to download your "Tower" compo but just can't seem to do it. It must be blocking us folks from Japan, sometimes happens with other applications. I guess they don't want to start giving anything away free to the Japanese as they are probably the only ones in the world still willing to pay.

    Thanks anyway.

     
  • At Tue Feb 24, 05:16:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Yes Scott, your tight ways haven't rubbed off on the Japanese.

    Nice week and long run. I only negative split on up/down courses! Is your training in the right place on the way to Gold Coast?

     
  • At Tue Feb 24, 05:52:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Sister Rostetta .... love her alright!!! Thanks for the link. Wooooaaa :)

     
  • At Tue Feb 24, 06:05:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tell it like it is sister!!
    Shit hot guitar break and check out the double 'windmill' at 1:47.

     
  • At Wed Feb 25, 07:45:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Fantastic Robert Song! I was able to get that download. I'll listen to it on my runs and in the car.

    Appreciate what new music can do for one. Thanks again.

     
  • At Wed Mar 04, 09:17:00 am AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    And I thought the teenage "I don't want to be seen with you" was just an urban myth!

    Yes, I'll be at WomAd this year, but can only make it for Sunday + night. Might see you around!

    And, yes, the rain should have settled the dust a LITTLE. But, at least it won't be a stinker this year!

     
  • At Thu Mar 05, 12:19:00 pm AEST, Blogger Eagle said…

    Good solid week. Song was interesting.

     
  • At Fri Mar 20, 05:24:00 pm AEST, Blogger IHateToast said…

    Hey hey hey! I saw you today (20/03/09). We just missed each other by the New Farm CityCat. I was walking away from the city. You were madly running towards it. I should have shaved my legs. You'd have noticed my great anti-toastness then.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home