Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, September 07, 2008

"Back On The Road Again" Again

On my last post (many many moons ago) I had just started running again after the dreaded cold and cough lurgy that everyone seems to have got as well.

My running only lasted about a week and I just still didn't feel right, so decided to give my self some more time off just to make sure I was fully over it.

So now I have just completed my second week back again. Even in the first week, I was still up and down with some soaring HRs at slow pace on some runs.

This week has been better and I managed 72.5k but I have certainly lost some fitness since the Gold Coast. I had wanted to race a 10k in October and get under 40 minutes but that doesn't look possible right now. So I plan to just do a month of base building low HR runs and re-assess my goals in early October.

When I came back to work at the end of May, I had a dilemma that I wrestled with for about a month. Because of the completion of some new river-side apartments, the Path by the river along the Teneriffe section was now joined with a section further along. In the picture below you can see where the path used to to turn back up on to the road but now you can continue on.



Should I use this new path or stick to my old course, so runs could be accurately compared with past runs? I finally made the plunge and took the new route. It is about 20 meters shorter over all but I can live with that. And then last week, they closed the path just past the Storey Bridge, so it is no longer possible to do my 14.5k round trip to Riverside or the 19k loop to the Goodwill Bridge. Doh!

4 Comments:

  • At Mon Sept 08, 01:28:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Yeah, that stupid lurgy knocked a few people around, had me coughing for weeks. I'm just glad I wasn't planning to run anyway.

    Good to see you are back on the road.

     
  • At Tue Sept 09, 06:35:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    It must have been an Australia-wide lurgy, because it gave me a 2 week belting as well! Interesting what it did to my heart rate - up by about 20-25 bpm on my usual resting HR.

    Bugger about the changes to your old courses, but you know what they say, a change is as good as a holiday (as long as they haven't made it worse!).

     
  • At Tue Sept 09, 07:16:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    That's one of my favourite Willie Willie Nelson Nelson tunes.

    Now you'll have to exceed your PBs by at least 20 seconds ;) Same problem down here - my 80s long-run course from Stromlo is no longer runnable.

     
  • At Mon Sept 15, 10:30:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    20 metres? ooooh, i don't know. that's long or short depending on how you look at it. if you line up cars, that wouldn't be too many cars. if you line up runners, more but they have longer strides. however, if you line up caterpillars, you'd notice how long that is. can you adjust your run by the equivalent to 40 000 caterpillars?

    hm.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home