Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Bag of Frozen Peas

The Levon Helm song from my last post reminded me of a song I had on my player earlier this year that also made me chuckle. Back in the mid 1990s, every time I came back from a run I would have to put ice packs on my knees. I did that for about a year, so any song about icing your kness is sure to get my attention.

This one is from Dirty Old Man by Neil Young on Chrome Dreams 11.

I like to get hammered
On Friday night
Sometimes I can't wait
So Monday's alright

It's a battle with the bottle
I'll win it alright
But I lost another round
In the bar last night

Got a bag of frozen peas
I use on my knees
I injured from beggin'
And tryin' to please

If you believe that
I'm losing my fat
Got a workout program
And a new rubber mat

2 Comments:

  • At Fri June 06, 03:38:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    That's a good one. The peas must have pleased your knees - remember not to eat them or you may get some disease.

    My version of Oklahoma Home is also from Springsteen - Live in Dublin with the Sessions Band. My sister picked it up in the US. A top album - some great tunes - I really like Further on up the road, American land, Eyes on the prize...

     
  • At Fri June 13, 02:14:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Frozen pea stories ...

    A friend of my sister pierced my ears for me but the day she did it we didn't have any ice cubes so she used a bag of frozen peas to numb my lobes.

    A friend of mine told her kids when they were toddlers that frozen peas were lollies and they believed her. So whenever they got a treat guess what they got.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home