Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Fear and Loathing The Wall


Mon 23rd 14.5k 1:03:42 (4:23 HR 152)

A good upper aerobic run. This sort of pace is starting to feel very comfortable.

Tue 24th Rest

Wed 25th 14.5k 1:01:42 (4:15 HR 157)

Tonight I set out with the aim of bettering my PB of 1:03:18. Given I was only 24 seconds off it on Monday night, I knew I could do it with just a little more effort. In the end, I manage to beat it by 86 seconds. Out in 30:46 and back in 30:56, so nice even pacing. Very pleased to set a new mark.


Thu 26th 9.5k 47:26 (4:59 HR 134)
Recovery Run.


Fri 27th Rest
Felt a little off today, so decided to take a rest day. No point in pushing it at this point.


Sat 28th Rest
Slept most of the afternoon.


Sun 29th 10k BRRC 40:19 (4:02 HR 165)

I wanted another solid hit out today but also was aware not to go absolutely flat out. My aim was to get under the time I did last year in this same event (41:56). It was a new start and course for the BRRC. The starting area facilities were luxury and I like the new course. Hope it stays. It was a lovely cool morning for running.

I started conservatively with a 4:18 first K and steadily cranked up the pace. Did the first lap in 20:28 and was feeling comfortable. Up the pace some more with a sting of sub 4 Ks and came home in 19:51 for 40:19 time. A new Over 50 10k PB. I am certainly looking forward to doing a 10k after the Gold Coast as I am positive I can take enough off that time to get under 40 minutes.


Week: 50.5k
June: 294k
2008: 1704k


One week to go. Funny think is I am starting to get very excited. Not about next week-end's race but GCM 2009. My preparation for this year has been great but I know I still have more room for improvement. I have really only been doing the upper aerobic runs for eight weeks and I am still improving with each one. Until today's run, I had not had my Heart Rate over 165 (88% Max HR) in training. I just have not had enough speed to push the heart hard enough. So I am excited because no matter what I do next Sunday I know in the future I will do even better.


The great benefit of this is that it puts no pressure on me for next week. I read of so many people getting so very excited for days and weeks before hand but I find being calm the week before produces a much better run on the day.
Continuing on with old marathon photos, here is me at around 34k in the gold Coast Marathon in 1984. Managed 3:05:57 that day. Looks like there was some rain on the day although I can't recall it now. A little more traditionally attired but they don't make shorts like that anymore. In fact, I got them for free from the Breakfast run the day before the New York Marathon in 1982.



Stephen Lacey posted this on his Blog about Hunter Thompson movie. It reminded me of a Ralph Steadman drawing for a Nike add that I had on my wall for many years.


7 Comments:

  • At Sun June 29, 09:16:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Wow! That is a quick 2nd 5K and would be a PB there as well. Great to see you are enjoying your running so much.

     
  • At Sun June 29, 10:28:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Great 10k Robert Song. I'm impressed. That is exciting. Sub-40 would be something. You'll do it for sure.

    Yes, thank goodness they don't make shorts like that anymore. They don't exactly look comfortable - I reckon you can get within 5 minutes of your '84 time Sunday week.

    Go Gonzo!

     
  • At Mon June 30, 06:27:00 am AEST, Blogger Vurt said…

    Wow. i love the Ralph Steadman poster.

     
  • At Mon June 30, 12:37:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Great pic - not quite the Harry Highpants I was expecting tho.

    Congrats on yesterday's 10k, fantastic time. Its so good to know that with all the BRRC races there will be plenty of chances to improve on that in the near future.

     
  • At Mon June 30, 04:52:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    A great positive post Robert Song. I really love to hear it when you see people getting something back from what they put in. Often one does, but sometimes it only takes one or a few of the inputs to be lacking a little to throw this, what you sow is what you reap, calculation off.

    It seems you haven't left much to chance and really understand how you can get the most out of yourself, vis a vis training. You must be excited for the future.

    I'm still not exactly sure how I best respond but I will and it will come from watching the likes of you. Thanks for letting us have a look.

    Have a relaxing week.

     
  • At Mon June 30, 08:48:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    What a terrific 10K Robert Song. This is really great. Sunday is looking so good for you. All the best.

     
  • At Tue July 01, 04:03:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Best of luck on Sunday Graham.

    Is that young lad to your right in the GC pic playing with a yo-yo?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home