Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Kewell Running

Mon 26th
Resting ankle.

Tue 27th
40 min on the Gym Bike. The ankle had improved enough that I was happy to take a spin on the bike in the gym. After a warm up did 8 repeats of 2 minutes hard / 2 minutes recovery and then a warm down.

Wed 28th
Another 40 minutes on the gym bike. Tonight it was 3 repeats of 5 mins hard / 2 minutes recovery.

Thu 29th
9.5k 42:47 4:30 HR 146
After three days of no running I was willing to test the ankle out. I was meant to go easy but it somehow turned out to be much faster than I anticipated. The ankle was still a sore when turning left.

Fri 30th
14.5k 1:19:48 4:50 HR 137
Was determined to take it a little slower than last night but upped the distance. The ankle felt a lot better tonight but still felt like I was favouring it a little. Anyway it was a great time for the HR giving me a new HR PB for this course. I had so been looking forward to getting back on my old work courses so I could get a good gauge on my current condition but the rolled ankle had put that on hold. Tonight though gave me a lot of confidence as it means my aerobic fittness is superior to the last couple of years.

Sat 31st
I still had an opportunity to enter the Doomben Half and I thought long and hard about it Saturday morning but finally thought caution was the best approach and decided against running it. I had been mentally preparing myself for a couple of weeks to race this event, so it now looks like I will go to the Gold Coast without a race before hand. Although there is a chance I may be able to get to the BRRC on the 15th if a prior engagement up the Coast is cancelled.

Sun 1st
25k 1:59:31 4:46 HR 149
Ran my long run a little faster than normal today. The ankle seems to be 99% OK now.

Finished up the day at Suncorp Stadium seeing the Socceroos pick up 3 valuable World Cup qualifying points even if it was a bit of a lucky win. Highlight of the night was the excitement on my son's face when he first set eyes on his hero Harry Kewell when the Aussies came out for their warm-up. Priceless. The low light was the fact that my eldest daughter Ducky only became aware that she was watching a World Cup Qualifier at half time. She then went off to buy some chips and didn't return in time to see the one and only goal.


Week: 49k (Not bad considering the way I was hobbling around on Monday).
Year: 1445k

Some lyrics from a song currently on my player and that never fail to make me chuckle are these from Levon Helm's Song "Got Me A Woman" from the album "Dirt Farmer".

Oh, I got me a woman she's a pretty good woman at that
We live with a monkey and a Chinese acrobat
She calls me 'Tex', makes me wear a cowboy hat
But I don't care she's a pretty good woman at that

Nothing in the world make me treat that woman mean
She shaves my beard and she keeps my tractor clean
She burns my bread, makes me eat turnip greens

But I don't care she's a best little woman I've seen

3 Comments:

  • At Wed June 04, 08:06:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Hope you make it to BRRC on Sunday week, I'm on duty so can cheer you on (seven times if you do the 35).

    Love that Levon Helm song!

     
  • At Thu June 05, 03:25:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Good to see those HR PBs rolling (and the ankle not).

    Seems like only yesterday I was watching the last World Cup on tele in the US.

    The perfect woman - shaves your beard and keeps your tractor clean. When I saw 'Dirt Farmer' it reminded me of a song I have on the iPod, My Okklahoma Home:

    It looked so green and fair, when I built my shanty there,
    I figured I was all set for life
    I put on my Sunday best with my fancy scalloped vest
    And went to town and picked me out a wife

    She blowed away, she blowed away
    My Oklahoma woman blowed away
    Just as I bent and kissed her, she was picked up by a twister;
    My Oklahoma woman blowed away

     
  • At Thu June 05, 04:50:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    One for my wife:

    "She burns my fish, makes me eat rice.
    But I don't care she's the best little woman so I try to be nice."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home