Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, June 15, 2008

It's a Mug's Game

Mon 9th 3k 20:58 (6:59 HR 113)
A real recovery run. Because of the Queen's Birthday Holiday I ran from home and went out with Kewell for a run. He has entered the Junior Dash at the GC so needs to do some training. Boy was it slow.


Tue 10th 9.5k 40:42 (4:17 HR 154)

This is my "fast" session for the week and the third time I've done this in this campaign. I am managing to get faster each week (42:47, 41:31, 40:42). The aim now is to beat my course PB from May 2006 40:11 in the next two weeks.

Wed 11th 14.5k 1:09:33 (4:49 HR 137)
An easy lower aerobic run and managed a HR PB for this course as well.

Thu 12th 14.5k 1:03:46 (4:23 HR 155)
An upper aerobic run. My second fast time ever over this course. Knocking off that time of 1:03:18 from May 2006 will be another target in the next two weeks.

Fri 13th 9.5k 46:40 (4:54 HR 133)
An easy recovery run.

Sat 14th Rest

Sun 15th 25k 1:51:02 (4:26 HR 159)
Headed down to the BRRC this morning looking to get a solid 25k run at around marathon pace. It was a perfect morning for running after the temperatures dropped yesterday. My aim was to go at around 4:30 pace.
5k Splits
22:28
22:09
22:12
22:01
22:12

So in the end I managed to go a bit faster at 4:26 with some nice even pacing. I reckon I could have done at least another 10k at that pace but don't know about after that. The big surprise was that I was first over the line of the 25k finishers and won a BRRC mug. Sweet. Didn't really feel like a race though as I ran by myself the whole way.

It has been another great week of training for me. Another two weeks of quality training to go and then an easy last week is the plan.

Week: 76k
June: 191.5k
2008: 1601k

I am touched by all the fashion comments from my last post. For those who asked, the Indian motif sweat shirt was purchased very cheaply from North End Road markets in Fulham. The plan was to wear it pre-race and then discard it just before the start. Had to change plans because it was so cold and wore it the whole way with a T-shirt underneath. Given a reprieve, it gave me many years of fashionable service after that.

So what do you think of my selection of gear for my second marathon in New York 1982?














Irie!!

8 Comments:

  • At Mon June 16, 09:04:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    I'll have to get Scott's opinion - I'm not sure what's on the shirt. Like the Aussie flag though.

    Well done on the win - a nice little bonus to finish off such a good week. Lucky you won a mug and not prize money - you get to keep your amateur status ;)

     
  • At Mon June 16, 10:06:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Aren't those the German flag's colors and isn't that black symbol the Eagle of the SS troopers? With that flowing red hair you may very well have been a member of the "Hilter Youth."

    But couldn't be true I hardly ever see you upload classical or polka music. "Please explain"! That is a reference to Paline Hanson, if you didn't know ;)

     
  • At Mon June 16, 10:07:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Sorry that is "Hitler Youth" "Hilter Youth" is neither here nor there ;)

     
  • At Tue June 17, 02:33:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    No Scott, he was a member of the "Helter (skelter) Youth". While I'm here, was she named Pailene because she was a pale skinned redhead?

    I'll take a guess Robert Song... a NY Apple shirt?

     
  • At Tue June 17, 08:21:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    I like the way your blog is turning into a forum for Ewen & Scott to have a chat.

    What's going on with that dude on the right, he looks like he has a cartoon hand (four really short fingers).

    PS Nice work at BRRC!

     
  • At Tue June 17, 09:42:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Your times are looking great Graham. You must be stoked.

    Can I borrow that gaer for my NY run?

     
  • At Thu June 19, 06:16:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    While you won a mug, I feel like one - I was super gluing the handle back on my favorite mug the other night and didn't realise that the glue was still runny when I put it down....... on the bench. I now have to figure out how to remove my favorite mug (with a strong handle) from the bench so I can use it again.......

    Oh, and nice running!

     
  • At Mon June 23, 06:11:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    It's Albanian! Right? .... Do I get the prize for the guess the T-shirt comp?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home