Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Going strong

A really good week's training. All runs except Sunday's were done in the evening.

Mon 5th 15.3k 75:12 (4:54 Hr 147)
By only doing 25k on Sunday morning, it means by Monday evening I can do a solid upper aerobic run with no difficulty. This is the best time I have done this year on this course.

Tue 6th 9.7k 47:15 (4:52 HR 145)
Hilly fartlek session.

Wed 7th 15.3k 78:09 (5:06 HR 136)
An easy lower aerobic run. I have a couple of rating systems for runs. One is Avg Heart Rate multipled by Avg Pace which I find is particuliarly useful for comparing runs over the same course especially lower aerobic runs. So for this run it was 136 * 5.11 = 694.7 which just happens to be a PB for this course. This is a very good indicator for me. Just for comparision, Monday's run although quickier could only manage 722.5.

The other indicator I have is (Avg HR - 50) * (Avg Pace - 4) . This gives a bit more weighting to pace and is a bit indicator for Upper aerobic runs and Monday's run scores 89 as compared to Wednesday's 95.

I know you are probably thinking this is all a bit nerdy but I collect all this in a spreadsheet, so it only requires the input of a couple of figures.

Thu 8th 6.5k 33:41 (5:10 HR 133)
My legs were felling heavy and tired today so just did a short recovery run.

Fri 9th 11.0k 49:34 (4:30 HR 150)
A shorter upper aerobic run. Hit the jackpot tonight. Triple PB. This is the fastest I have ever done this course and the first time under 50 minutes. It was also PB on both my ranking scales 675.9 beating the previous 689 from 10th April and 51 beating the 70 from 23rd April.

Sat 10th Rest

Sun 11th 36k 3:10:49 (5:17 HR 139)
A nice and easy long run to finish off the week.

Week: 93.8k
May: 145k
Year: 1185k

Still while all this is encouraging, running 4:30 for 11k as I did on Friday is one thing but to continue on a that pace for another 30k is certainly not possible at this point. But just four weeks ago running 4:51 pace over that course seemed tough so who knows where another eight weeks will get me.

Ewen made comment about the Senegalese Dakar Sound album which I have on my music player and the sound of Motorbikes from the Dakar Rally. I think he may be on to something here. The album is a compilation of Senegalese music from the late 70's and 80's featuring what was at that time a wild new sound coming out of Dakar called Mbalax and features stuttering guitar and drums which when I think about it often sound like a noisy back firing trail bike. Given that the Dakar rally started in 1977 maybe it was the spark for this new wave of music?

5 Comments:

  • At Mon May 12, 03:43:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Yes. They were copying the bikes!

    Thanks for the Bowie clip - hadn't heard that one. You get a great view running up a hill backwards :)

    That's a great week - you're on target for something good at GC.

    I like your rating system for runs - more relaxing than trying to 'sit on' the same HR and see what pace it produces, or vice versa.

     
  • At Mon May 12, 08:41:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Training is certainly going well Robert Song. Your patience and dedication are bearing some good results.

     
  • At Mon May 12, 09:03:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Top week of running there.

    Cool film clip!

     
  • At Tue May 13, 02:09:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Geez, you'd have to be happy with a week like that this far out from GC! Surely it can only get better!

     
  • At Thu May 15, 09:53:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    As above.

    I like the idea of early Sunday late Monday sessions. Two quality sessions. I'll try that too.

    That is a nice heart rate for that kind of pace, 4:30, too.

    You're really getting fit and fast. Hope the old body holds up too.

    Toot too for now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home