Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Monday, May 05, 2008

Upping the Tempo

This is the first week where I have actively stepped up the intensity of a few sessions. Hopefully it will only take a few weeks to see the benefits of this.

Mon 28/4 11k 51:51 (4:42 Avg HR 155)
After doing my long run on Saturday, this could be an upper aerobic run rather than just a recovery run that I would normally do Monday.
Tue 29/4 15.3k 1:18:08 (5:06 HR 141)
A easy run.
Wed 30/4 9.5k 43:39 (4:35 HR 153)
This was my first time for ages running this course. I just follow Waterworks Road to Ashgrove and back. Lots of hills. The plan is to be aggressive up the hills and recover on the down side.
Thu 1/5 15.3k 1:16:01 (4:48 HR 146)
I woke up on Thursday morning to a dense layer of smoke lying over The Gap. The legs still felt a bit stiff from yesterday, so decided to delay the run till the afternoon. It turned out to be a good move. A ice solid pace all the way at an encouragingly low heart rate. I have been doing a few afternoon runs recently and it seems I run better at this time of day.
Fri 2/5 11k 57:03 (5:11 HR 133)
Again went out late in the day. Just an easy run along the bike path. It was getting quite dark towards the end and there is no lighting. With about 2.5k to go I found myself suddenly hurdling through the air!! I landed and quickly looked over my shoulder and it was a snake on the path. Seems my brain had processed what my eyes had seen and commanded my legs to jump well before it had sent the information to my consciousness. A nice short rise in HR at the point on the graph as well.
Sat 3/5 Rest
Sun 4/5 25k 2:32:15 (5:17 HR 136)
Back to running in the morning and the smoke haze is still around. Not very pleasant for running but as I leave The Gap and Ashgrove it gets better and it is mostly gone by the time I return. A little slower than last week but it has been a big step up in intensity this week in training and I know I can feel it it my legs, so not that unhappy.

Week Total: 87k

5 Comments:

  • At Mon May 05, 02:52:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    What you need to do is find an afternoon or evening marathon. What about Christmas Island? I think it has a 3:30pm start. And I reckon the way you leapt over that snake you wouldn't have any trouble with those little crabs on the course.

     
  • At Mon May 05, 07:21:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Just by simply looking at the numbers of your Sunday longish run I can see that your fitness is at a pretty good level for this stage.

    You must be pleased with things so far.

    As for Tesso's comment I can assure you that running with crabs is not so easy, but then again I haven't been to Christmas island ;)

     
  • At Tue May 06, 09:19:00 am AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    I think you'll find that a reaction like that probably came from your spinal chord, so you're brain didn't have to process anything!

    I reckon those times are looking good!

     
  • At Tue May 06, 07:52:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    I've done the same thing a couple of times - I'm sure one of them was a high jump PB.

    "ice solid pace" would mean you're getting frost up there? Another great reason to do afternoon runs ;)

    Dakar Sound would be the noise of enduro bikes and rally cars racing across the desert?

     
  • At Wed May 07, 09:16:00 pm AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    Singapore has a midnight start coming up...late enough for ya?

    I love your training approach RS, so disicplined with the base build phase easier than you can run then whack and you're into faster stuff right on cue! great stuff

     

Post a Comment

<< Home