Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Tuesday - Mambo Sinuendo

Tuesday 19th December
11k 56:43 @ 5:09 HR 140 (75% MaxHR)
Week Total: 23k

After some overnight rain it was a pleasantly mild morning for a run along The Gap Cycle path. A lot of people walking dogs and a few other runners. I guess I will be seeing a lot more of these people over the coming months. This course will be my standard easy run. It isn't what you would call hilly but undulating and for that reason I always find it hard to keep and even Heart Rate. It is nice and shady in the morning which is handy.

I have a passion for music and like Homer Simpson and food at an all you can eat buffet, I acquire much more music than I can possibly adequately pay serious attention to. This is resulted in a mountain of CDs I have never played and so I have set myself a goal of listening to a new one each day. Now I'm not exactly happy about this. I like to savour my music. I like it to get under my skin and embedded into my brain which I find takes many repeated listens. Often music that has the most lasting appeal is underwhelming of a first listen. But I will use my years of experience and some triage strategies and hopefully identify the ones with the most potential for further listening.

Today it was the 2003 collaboration Mambo Sinuendo by Ry Cooder and Cuban guitarist Manuel Galban (who featured in the Buena Vista Social Club). I would say it must be close to three years ago that I bought this one.

My first impression of this is a keeper. Nice guitar interplay and wonderfully produced with some great sounding twangy guitar. A mixture of instrumentals with styles from up tempo cubano to late night jazz. I already want to play it again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home