Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Monday, December 17, 2007

Day One

Only 159 more days left before I have to go back to work now.

My first task for my first day of long service leave was to take the family car to have it's 12 month service. This meant dropping it at Newmarket at 7:30 am and running the 12k to home. I love runs like this when you actually achieve something other then just a training run. It fitted perfectly into my plan to convert to morning runs also. I have now started the pattern so now only have to keep following through each day.

I was a bit worried about this run this morning. Generally I have 36 hours recovery time after Sunday's long run when I run Monday night. Today it would only be 24 hours. Secondly I would only usually do 9.5k but today would be 12k. Thirdly the course today is far more hilly than my usual and finally it would be a late start and it could have been quite hot and steamy. So all things combined it might have all been a bit too much but luckily the weather was kind and I seem to have come out of it unscathed.

For recovery, I laid on the couch and watched the two EPL games I recorded from last night (Liverpool v M Utd and Arsenal v Chelsea). Did I mention only 159 more days to go?

Today's run
12k 1:06:48 5:29 HR 139 75% Max HR.

Today I upgrade my Internet plan to a 12Gb ( from a measly 1Gb) so I will be relatively free to surf and download for the period of my leave, as long as the kids don't find out about it.

With now just under 200k for the month so far, I an considering setting a goal of 400k for this month. My mind is willing but will have to see if I can drag the body along for the ride.

6 Comments:

  • At Tue Dec 18, 09:43:00 am AEST, Blogger IHateToast said…

    oh no.

    this is going to be a scary blog for a while. i'll have to put a sheet over the screen before i read it. it works for scary movies.

     
  • At Tue Dec 18, 10:18:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Don't know if I am more jealous of your running or your leave.

    Morning running ... hope this means you will be free drinkies tomorrow night with Puddin'head Pete and the rest of the CR gang.

     
  • At Tue Dec 18, 10:19:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Free 'for' drinkies that should have read!

     
  • At Tue Dec 18, 11:04:00 am AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We're all jealous of your leave here at work. My knees hurt just thinking about the running though. BTW We've got the countdown timer going, only 158 days to go :) Enjoy.

     
  • At Tue Dec 18, 11:46:00 am AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    What is this 12 Gb thing of which you speak? Surely not the download speed 12 Gbps? Ah ha, I know, it must be your monthly download limit. We are not troubled by such matters in the land of Aibo and WanSeg TV. All internet plans are just a simple question of on or off. People are not very security conscious about their wireless networks either. Want to borrow some of my bandwidth? Sure, go right ahead it doesn't cost me anything. Australian telcos are taking their customers to the cleaners.

     
  • At Tue Dec 18, 07:01:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Looks like your LSL will be split between running and the couch ;)

    Yes! Lot's of downloading with 12gb if you can keep it a secret. Stephen forgets we're living in a third world country... but Kevin07 has promised to change all that.

    400k per month is a walk in the bush if you ask Steve.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home